How to get your own free web address... well, almost...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLinker
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: How to get your own free web address... well, almost... Reply with quote

The Abyss web server makes it alot easier to run my own web server.

Because my internet connection is going through an xDSL solution, my IP address and DNS name will change from time to time. If people on the internet want to connect to my web server, they need to know my IP address or my DNS name.

Question is, how can they know about my changing IP address ??

The answer is... they can't... unless I tell them in some way...

The solution for me was to find some sort of service on the internet that could give the people my changing IP address.

There are several solutions out there, like No-IP.com and DynDNS.org. I use No-IP.com, but they all have the same basic principles in how they work. And most of these services are free.

What's common with almost all these services, is:

1. You sign up for an account with one of these solution providers.

2. You configure the account, which means giving them your wanted web address. There are some limitations though. You can only give them the hostname of the address, not the domain name... e.g. if my hostname of my computer is JUPITER, my address with No-IP will be jupiter.no-ip.com ... or with DynDNS: jupiter.dyndns.org. One of the cool things with No-IP though, is that they control more than one domain name... one of them is servehttp.com... so I can set my web address to jupiter.servehttp.com. There are several more.

3. You must download, install and run a client software from one of these solution providers. This software is responsible for finding out your changed IP address, logging in to your solution provider with your account and update the IP address information.

After all this is done, the people who wanted to access my web server now only need to know my new DNS name... which is e.g. jupiter.servehttp.com.

Hopefully the above information will give you some pointers on how to make the access to your web site easier.

Ciao.. :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
OldWorldVAmpire
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a domain address, but I am sick of shelling out money every year for a hosting service when I have all this power here at my home that could do it for me.....Plus with some added hardware I could turn this around to server some smaller websites and create a possitive cash flow.
Direct tv offers static ip addresses with their dsl service which makes domain names easier to transfer to your machine......
Your idea is a very good one, I wish I had known about it before I went ahead and spent a great deal of time and money.....I may have rethought this whole adventure......now it's alittle late when your in water over your head....you just keep treading unil you sink or reach safety....!!!! lol.......
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
kennnay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: How to get your own free web address... well, almost... Reply with quote

I have been using Abyss Web Server for the past two weeks,

This is an outline of how I handle my company web server, as it may help clarify some the problems that come up.

1) I have a domain name through http://godaddy.com that costs $8.95, along with it I purchased their web re-direction option for an additional $9.95. making it a total yearly expediture of $18.90. I specify the IP address shown in winipcfg in their web page setup.

2) I have cable internet witih Astound Broadband in California, they give me a dynamic IP address, however, as long as I keep the modem on 24/7, my IP address stays the same .. (for the past 3+ months!)

3) I check the IP address daily in winipcfg for any change, if it changes, I get into my account and immediately make the change, this takes no more than 2 minutes to update.

Check out my Abyss powered website: http://csg-ltd.com

Feel free to email me with any comments or questions that you may have.
POMP
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same setup as Kenaay, the only difference is rather than check my IP address for changes every single day, I use a Dynamic DNS Client. Many people have talked about these (dns2go, no-ip.com, etc...) The one I use is FREE you can sign up for your own account at www.dhs.org. The software I use with my host name is Dynsite. What this does is checks my IP address every 15 minutes for a change, when it notices there has been one, it automatically updates it for me.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out http://hn.org they offer the free dynamic DNS service that can be routed to their fre DNS server and then you are all set for a small home server for cable or dsl
^InFlames^

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: dyndns.org Reply with quote

I use dyndns.org for my dns service.. i have no trouble and the service is great. I run a third-party program that dyndns.org recommends for dynamic ip users. the program runs at startup and checks at preset intervals of time to see if my ip has changed, if so.. it automatically updates it instantly. FREE is the best price for anything. also, you dsl router users out there like me.. the program i use is DynSite. It will check your ip remotely and update it correctly, instead of setting it with your netip eg: 192.*.*.*
Linksys uber alles!!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: How to get your own free web address... well, almost... Reply with quote

kennnay wrote:
as long as I keep the modem on 24/7, my IP address stays the same

No, keeping your modem on 24/7 has nothing to do with your ip address staying the same. Your isp will change it whenever they want. Sometimes I can go six months without a change and other times I'll get 4 changes in a week. It just depends on usage levels on their servers.

I use [url=mydomain.com]MyDomain.com[/url]. They register your domain for $15 and give you free fowarding (standard url or stealth url and mail fowarding or mail catch-all), plus an unlimited amount of subdomains - with the same features. I love it and best of all there are no ads whatsoever.

-James[/url][/list]
NetOlszowka

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Dns2Go is the best Reply with quote

Man I love this server app Its the best much much better then Slimsever HTTPd I cant wait for the new version but I use Dns2Go its really kick ass and it will change which ip it points to when your ip changes http://www.dns2go.com it rules check out my site http://neto.d2g.com but the one I use the abyss server for is http://neto.d2g.com:26 again thanks for the great tool/ toy!
paulino
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: please help ip Reply with quote

i need help please

i can only see my web from my compurter

what do i has to do please help me
guido

[/url]
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
paulino
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgrv
some random person
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an old thread did ya? Well, do you have a router? Usually, if you do, it will block others from seeing your site. Also, what OS are you runnning?

Image hosted by abyss powered website
Image copyright some random person (I made it......)
Abyss > Apache (Meaning abyss is better than apache)
My site powered by abyss->(Undergoing construction)
jtc970
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try the search button...then if you cant find anything leave more info about your setup..(routers,firewalls etc...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: