Access to my X2 sites constantly hanging & timing-out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMMotyer
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Access to my X2 sites constantly hanging & timing-out Reply with quote

Hello, folks,

I hope that I don't get into trouble for creating this new post, when a similar (or maybe the same?) problem has already been mentioned in THIS thread.

For the past few months, since early this year or maybe even late last year, myself & visitors to my X2 sites have been experiencing hanging & timeouts, at times 50% of the time that any of my sites are accessed. As in the above other thread, after a period of time (maybe a minute or so), either the page will eventually display, but often the access will timeout with a page cannot be reached message. Sometimes a refresh of the browser window will display the requested page, but often it will take numerous page refreshes until the page is eventually displayed.

These are not all complicated pages... some of the pages that hang & timeout are simple HTML pages with as little as 10 lines of HTML code.

My Abyss version is Abyss/2.16.4-X2-Win32 AbyssLib/2.16.4, running on Windows 10 Pro x64 with 32-GB of memory and 8-cores.

I can't remember what the default timeout was (I think it was 2 seconds), but I have tried increasing the timeout to 60 and 90 and 120 seconds, but the hanging/timeouts still occurred.

It's not a network or Internet problem, as I have gigabit network devices & gigabit Internet connection, and the hanging/timeouts happen with me inside my home on my internal network.

I am not a technical person, so unable to do much technical troubleshooting.

As a note, for the past 1/2 dozen or so years, I had been running about 2-dozen small sites on my X2 installation without any problem whatsoever. When these problems with hanging/timeouts started a few months ago, I reduced the number of hosts a few weeks ago down to my current 12 hosts, but the problems still exist.

I don't know if the attached image shows a problem, or if the processes' usage look normal:

Before I reach out to Aprelium Support with this problem, has anyone else been experiencing this same problem?

Thanks in advance & have yourselves a great day.

Regards,
John
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tfh
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I doubt you'll get into problems with this news post. And I can confirm these issues, like I did in the previous threads.
A similar setup here: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, AMD Ryzen 5 4650 Pro, 16GByte of Memory. All on a Gigabit network & fiber connection. But the problem also happens when I access the site(s) locally. Both from the local network, but also on the server itself. Even the accessing the Abyss Web Server console on the local machine will give these delays / time-outs.

I did understand that they are currently rewriting a part of the engine, so there is a good chance that this will be solved in the process. But maybe they can give us an update?

I'll point the admins to this thread. They sometimes seem to neglect this forum a bit.
JMMotyer
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, 22H2.

Quote:
But the problem also happens when I access the site(s) locally. Both from the local network, but also on the server itself. Even the accessing the Abyss Web Server console on the local machine will give these delays / time-outs.

Ditto, same thing when I'm actually on the server, and the console hangs too & times out.

Strange how this only started happening a few months ago, either earlier this year or late last year. Could've been, maybe, when I upgraded my PHP? I've been downloading & installing PHP as Aprelium releases new versions. Not that there's anything wrong with their packaged downloads, just maybe something with PHP itself? Currently on 8.2.5.
tfh
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMMotyer wrote:
Same here, 22H2.

Quote:
But the problem also happens when I access the site(s) locally. Both from the local network, but also on the server itself. Even the accessing the Abyss Web Server console on the local machine will give these delays / time-outs.

Ditto, same thing when I'm actually on the server, and the console hangs too & times out.

Strange how this only started happening a few months ago, either earlier this year or late last year. Could've been, maybe, when I upgraded my PHP? I've been downloading & installing PHP as Aprelium releases new versions. Not that there's anything wrong with their packaged downloads, just maybe something with PHP itself? Currently on 8.2.5.

Do you also see multiple php-cgi.exe's in your tasks list after some time (multiple days)?
Could it be that Abyss looses it's connection the the running php task somehow and after a time-out starts another one?

Or maybe this is due to me killing the server, as it seems to solve the problems for some time.
JMMotyer
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.... 43 of them:

When I stopped my Abyss service, they did not disappear. And when I restarted the Abyss service, there were 45 of them (although I could've slightly miscounted both times).

I rebooted my VM that Abyss is running on, and there were initially on 2 Fast-CGI processes, but after a few seconds there were 4...

I never noticed this before... there are 2 processes for Abyss. I have Abyss set to run as a service, so that it starts up automatically when the VM is started/restarted.
tfh
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMMotyer wrote:
Wow.... 43 of them:

When I stopped my Abyss service, they did not disappear. And when I restarted the Abyss service, there were 45 of them (although I could've slightly miscounted both times).

I rebooted my VM that Abyss is running on, and there were initially on 2 Fast-CGI processes, but after a few seconds there were 4...

I never noticed this before... there are 2 processes for Abyss. I have Abyss set to run as a service, so that it starts up automatically when the VM is started/restarted.

Exactly... When Abyss is running for a long time, you get A LOT of PHP instances.
The 2 instances of Abyss are correct. If you kill the one with the bigger memory consumption, it will restart another one instantly. If you do first kill the small one, you can kill the 2nd bigger one.
My guess; The small one is a watchdog which can fire up the server again. The big one is actually the active webserver.

Last edited by tfh on Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfh
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post. Please delete
JMMotyer
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Double post. Please delete.

Look at the first thing that I wrote in this post:
Quote:
I hope that I don't get into trouble for creating this new post, when a similar (or maybe the same?) problem has already been mentioned in THIS thread.

And your reply:
Quote:
I doubt you'll get into problems with this news post.

Now, the reason that I posted this in the first place, was because:
    1. The other post was under Suggestions, not posted as a problem.
    2. The other post was in a hidden section, requiring users to log in before they can see that post.

Myself, from time-to-time I browse the posts on this forum, to see if there are any new posts of interest to myself. The original post (with a similar hanging problem that I'm having) is not visible to other people that may be browsing these forums as I do, unless they first log in. I also Search this forum whenever I am experiencing problems, to see if anyone else has been having the same problem & if there is a possible solution to my problem... by the original post being in a hidden area unless logged in, the original post would not have appeared in my searches.

Why is the Suggestion area (where the original post is with this problem) hidden at all? In order to "post" anything on this forum, a user needs to be logged in, so why hide the Suggestion area from "viewing"?

I will try to figure out how to delete this post, as you have requested, and I will instead contact (email) Aprelium Support with my problem.

My sincerest apologies for the double post.
tfh
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... No, the double post was not a reaction to you :)

I (as in ME) actually made a double post (By replying my own message instead of editting it). So i deleted the content of that message and replaced it with that remark :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: