Can't view your website? Want a domain name? Look here!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Can't view your website? Want a domain name? Look here! Reply with quote

This is for all the people who cannot view their website for multiple reasons.
1) You enter your IP address and you cannot see your website.
2) You can only see your website from "localhost."
3) Others cannot see your website, but you can.

To date, I estimate over 50 topics have been started with the same problem. I hope to solve your problems right here, so you do not have to start a new thread.

Problem: You/Others cannot view your website.
This applies to: All people who have a hardware router.
Solution: Port forwarding.
When someone enters your IP, the request gets sent to your router. Normally, your router would just ignore/block the request, because it cannot do anything with it. We are going to take all requests to your IP address, and forward them specifically to the computer with your website.
What to do:

1) Get the Internal IP address of the computer running Abyss Web Server.
If you run Windows 95, 98, ME: Start>Run>Type "winipcfg" and select your network adapter from the dropdown list. Your IP address either looks like "192.168.x.x" or "10.0.x.x"
If you run Windows 2000, XP, Server 2000, or Server 2003: Go to the command prompt and type "ipconfig" (which will display your Internal IP under the IP Address category).

EDIT: To get your Internal IP, just download my handy little batch file: 95/98/ME or 2000/XP/2003. Download using IE.

2) Go to your router configuration. Usually, you can type "192.168.1.1" or "192.168.0.1" in your browser to bring it up.
Helpful tip: After completing step 1, use the same digit(s) in the third block of your IP in step 2. Example: If your IP address from step 1 was "192.168.254.10," then use 254 to find your router (192.168.254.254). If your IP address was "192.168.1.10," then use "192.168.1.1" (taking the third block of numbers in your IP address, and putting them in the third and fourth place in step 2).

3) If a password prompt comes up, try different combinations of the words "admin" and "administrator." Most linksys routers use "admin" for the password and no username.

4) Once in the configuration, look for an option that says "forwarding." Once you have found it, under port number, type "80." Under IP address, type the IP address you found in step 1 (192.168.x.x). For TCP/UDP, make sure at least TCP is selected.

5) Go to www.whatismyip.com or www.aprelium.com/ip/ to find your External IP address. After configuring port forwarding, type that IP address into your browser. Your website should show up!
----------------------------------------------------------
This is for all the people who want to have a domain name (www.myname.com) instead of a numerical IP address (66.212.51.99) for your website.

Your options:

"Dot TK" - This can give you a www.yourname.tk for your website. All you do is signup, and forward your domain name to your IP address.
Note: The majority of users have a "Dynamic IP." This means, periodically, your IP address changes. You will have to go in manually and change your IP when this happens.

"No-IP" - This popular service lets you have yourname.no-ip.com for free; along with some other choices (such as yorname.mybiz.com, etc.). For those of you with a Dynamic IP (which is mostly everyone), No-IP provides a client you can download that automatically updates your URL whenever your IP changes.

A Real TLD (Top Level Domain, such as .com, .net, and .org) - Let me first say, there is absolutely NO WAY to get a free TLD. Whatever the deal, you will eventually have to open your wallet.
There are many providers to choose from. I like to use 000domains.com. For $13.50 per year, they offer every service you will ever need. I know people have found cheaper ones, but this is just my preference.
How to associate your TLD with your IP Address: The majority of companies whom sell TLDs do not offer DNS services (ways to associate your domain with your IP address). For this, I reccomend a free service called "ZoneEdit." To use this, you must associate your domain with ZoneEdit's namesevers. They show you how to do that on their website, www.zoneedit.com. For those of you who have dynamic IPs, there is a list of 3rd-party applications in their FAQ.

Everyone has their own preferences.

Hope that helped. Post with any further qurstions you may have.

Last edited by iNaNimAtE on Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ghb
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!! This has helped imensely!!

With the tutorial, got my site up in less than a night - thanks again dude!!

5 :twisted: out of 5 :twisted: !

Last edited by ghb on Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Tutorials are fun to write.
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<rant>
*grumble*

Either my router (DI-614+) or the web server is flipping me off. Last night, everything = A-OK. Started the workstation up tonight = can't view my site. Went to Router settings - virtual server (port forwarding) = set to TCP 80 and my internal IP address = what I find @ Run > Cmd > Ipconfig /all (XP Home).

Go to WhatisMyIP.com and copy the IP # > paste into Address bar = "Thank you, please try again" *insert appropriate gesture and explicative*.

Currently using No-IP.com and their free DUC v2.1.4. Everything looks like it should be working. Abyss server = running. DUC v2.1.4 = smily face. Router = port forwarding for TCP / 80. But, no dice.

</rant>

Thanks in advance for any tips, tricks, advice

Last edited by ghb on Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using DMZ and see if it works. If it does, at least we know what the problem is.
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - Now this is weird. Last night, I had ZoneAlarm Plus running = could access my site. Tonight (as seen above) = problems all night. On a lark, I turned off ZoneAlarm Plus = can access my site again.

I also turned the DUC v2.1.4 Connection update down to 5; 30 seemed to be missing the IP switch: whatismyip = X; DUC = Y. Changed to 5, both = X.

With the router, should be pretty "safe". Have AV running as well, but seems odd (at least to me) that ZoneAlarm Plus would allow it last night but not tonight. *scratches head*.

Thanks again :)
ssj4dansta
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did all of the above but i couldn't log into my router because when i type my default gateway 192.168.0.1..it won't let me in it just goes to page not found same as when i type my true ip etc....
do we have to use the main internet computer or any computer on the network?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been my experience that some routers (such as D-Link) do not allow a computer on the same network as the server to access the website.

Example:

Your IP is: 192.168.0.10
Abyss is located at: 192.168.0.11
Your Real IP is: 66.224.62.202

The IP 66.224.62.202 is set to forward to Abyss at 192.168.0.11. When computer 192.168.0.10 types in 66.224.62.202, it will not work. It will only work if someone who isn't on your network tries to access your IP (66.224.62.202).
Why doesn't it work? The computer is essentially making a loop. It is virtually going out on the internet, only to find that it needs to go back in to the network.

If you don't understand, I'll make a diagram for you.
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes....i still don't understand
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is my diagram. I made it in MSPaint, so it isn't exactly the most professional diagram.

-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<silly question>

I've found that running ZoneAlarm Plus does not allow me to view my Abyss powered site. Any clues on how ZA+ needs to be set-up to allow for outside access other than turning it off?

</silly question>
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes; somewhere in ZoneAlarm, set access rules so the Abyss executable can access the internet.
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iNaNimAtE wrote:
Yes; somewhere in ZoneAlarm, set access rules so the Abyss executable can access the internet.

Thanks for the reply :)

Played around a bit with ZoneAlarm some more, think I got it so that ZA+ can run at the same time as does the Abyss server page on my box.

Thank you again for the patience, tutorials, tips & tricks. Now, hopefully this user (me) can make this here Abyss server work (no complaints about the Abyss server, just user cluelessness).
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What operating system do you use?
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey when I give my ip to a friend to check out my site, he says it does not work and it is just a blank page.
I don't know how it is like that because all firewalls are off and I cofigured zonealarm to let abyss enter the internet....can you help me figure out what's wrong?

operating system = Microsoft Windows XP Professional
ghb
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP Home, SP1 on partition w/Abyss server. RedHat 8.x on secondary partition - no Abyss server, yet.

MS Firewall = On
Verizon = DSL Provider
DI-614+ DLink wireless router, connected to box via RJ-45
Port forwarding / Virtual Server - Port 80
ZA+ = On - allowing Abyss through
Linkage
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to turning off or uninstall [if necessary] ZA and see if everything goes. If it work without ZA, you will need check the ZA setting for in/outbound port is set correctly. Sometime ZA is a bit stubborn.
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ghb, your site still does not work. (Checked March 26 at 4.40PM PST).
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it give him a blank page, or a "Page cannot be displayed?"
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page connot be displayed i'd say
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Because a blank page means you don't have an "index.html" page. I would suggest checking all your connections, make sure all your IPs are right, et cetera.
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q#1: I have:
Quote:
TeleWell TW-EA716 ADSL modem, Firewall+Router 4 port router 10/100Mbps

Is it possible that it blocks the server program?

Q#2: I can't find my router. Could it be hidden in the telewell management or does windows xp has it's own?

I'm new to this... :oops: [/b]
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question one and two have the same sort of answer. #1: Yes, that does block the server. #2: The modem + router you mentioned in #1 is in fact your router. The guide I wrote is intended to help you bypass your router so people can view your website.
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I succeeded in changing the port. Now Ima just have to ask someone to test it. Don't bother, my pc will be off pretty sure, but if you want to try, goto: http://192.168.0.101:829 .
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iNaNimAtE wrote:
Ok. Because a blank page means you don't have an "index.html" page.

A totally blank page doesn't mean there is no index file. If your browser has not timed out in connecting and you are given a totally blank page (no text whatsoever) then there is an empty index.html file, which is either deliberate or accidental.

If there was no index file and directory indexing was turned on, you would get an empty directory listing from Abyss, but there would be text there and you would be able to see the Abyss banner at the bottom. If directory indexing is turned off and there is no index file in the directory, you would receive a Forbidden error from Abyss and still get a banner.

If you're running an ad blocker that acts as a local server on port 80 it may be serving up blank pages/images, but if you were using the same port for Abyss you would get an error when you tried to run Abyss stating that the port is in use...
turma
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still couldn't get it to work. I changed my html port to another but.... well, I just don't seem to find the right buttons :oops:
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Anonymoose: Let me clarify: When I said "no index.html page," I meant there was a file named "index.html," however there was nothing in it; which would give you a blank page.

To Turma: "http://192.168.0.101:829" is your internal IP address, which is only viewable by you. You need to get your external IP at www.whatismyip.com and then give that to us.
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it shows 80.223.133.146 . that comes from the router, if I'm correct...

this is my situation:

pretty tough, huh? I have access to the firewall (Telewell modem), so I am able to change the settings.

the ip given at whatismyip is 80.223.133.146

my pc's ip is 192.168.0.101
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are your other PC's connected to the server PC ? (Not the Abyss PC) I'm assuming you have a hub or a switch in there somewhere too rather than 3 additional NIC's in the server PC just to link up the PCs. Similarly, how is the modem connected to the server PC ?

If your connection goes Modem -> Server PC -> Hub -> Other PCs, you will need to get an additional port forwarder for the server PC to forward traffic from that to the Abyss PC - this will be easier than enabling routing on the server PC.

This one has always worked well for me in the past :

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/autapf.html

You'll need to set up the modem to forward port 80 to your server PC, then set up the port forwarder program on the server PC to forward the port to port 80 on the machine running Abyss.
turma
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the 2 top devices (referring to the picture) they could be the other way around :lol:

man, this is hard.
I'll try the program you suggested, thanks :wink:
turma
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... have these fields to fill when using the prog.:

I tried to add the port numbers and the lower ip but don't know if they are right... :oops:
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same question as Anonymoose. How do you hook all your LAN PC to your server PC? Does this server pc a proxy server with multiple NIC?

Your approach or setup is kind of complicated. I am not sure why how to start. My suggestion is to have a gateway or a router with switch built-in. This router / gateway will be in between your "Telemodem" and your LAN. This router will act as a traffic cop and forward any port to the predefine LAN for that port you set in the router and other port you did not define will be dump or ignore request to the router.

Your server PC can host Abyss instead or setup as a proxy or firewall.
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To CapFusion: Yes, some people put 2 or 3 NICs in one computer and use it as a router (which is what he is doing).

To Turma: You have two options: In that dialogue box, put "192.168.0.101" in the Local Host IP Address, not the remote one.

Or, like CapFusion said, just host Abyss on the server PC.
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, seems like I should give up... I don't really need a server rite now, but when I do, I'll use Abyss :wink:
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry we couldn't get it working. I hope in the future it will work for you.
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: can't view on web Reply with quote

Okay, I've read all of the posts in this subject, and I still can't get this to work.

The web files are in the correct folder and the router seems to be working correctly (I can access the index page through localhost as well as the 127.0.0.1 bit), but I can't access it when I type in the IP address.

What might I be doing wrong?
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of router do you use, what operating system are you on, how many computers are on your network, which one do you use, and which one is Abyss on?
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<What kind of router do you use, what operating system are you on, how many computers are on your network, which one do you use, and which one is Abyss on?>>

Let's see........

Router: Linksys BEFSR41
Computers: 2 (desktop and laptop)
Used: Desktop
Abyss: Desktop
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aej2000, look over the following guide to see if that will help:
http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1662

...and you didn't mention if you were using a firewall or not.
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxxnixx, Linksys routers have a built-in firewall. However, if you were referring to a software firewall, then yes, aej2000, do you use one?

There are a couple possible solutions:
1. Use the Linksys guide in the previous post.
2. Try DMZ and see if that works. (DMZ is potentially dangerous, but we at least need to figure out what the problem is).
3. Your ISP may block port 80. Try running Abyss on another port (and make sure to configure port forwarding for it). What ISP do you use?
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to the DMZ comment, if you know you're not up to date on Windows Update patches don't put your PC into the DMZ. It's not just dangerous, it's suicidal. Get patched up first, then move into the DMZ if you're going to use it.
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I was anticipating your comment).

The idea of the DMZ is to see what exactly went wrong; not to keep it in there permanently. If it works, then the problem was the router. If it doesn't work, then the problem is probably the computer configuration. The good thing about DMZ is that you can't mess up the configuration of it; there is only one text box. That's what makes it good for troubleshooting.
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was anticipating yours too :D

I know it's for troubleshooting and how useful it is, but consider the average user. If you've done a basic install of Windows XP, maybe added SP1, but then not touched Windows Update, even if you only move your PC into the DMZ for 5 minutes, I guarantee if you're on a popular cable/DSL ISP you *will* have been scanned and infected by one of the Blaster variants or other post SP1 nasties before you finish. Same goes for Windows 2K SP4 etc.

You should always recommend people check they're up to date on at a minimum Windows Critical Fixes before recommending they move a PC into the DMZ, even for a short time.
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. The internet is just one big script kiddie playground. I guess from now on, whenever I recommend to put a computer into DMZ, I will append a large, bolded red link at the top, like this one:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: www.dot.tk Reply with quote

Do you know how to get rid of the pop-up on www.dot.tk???
It would really help... thanks :D
nquin321
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: www.dot.tk Reply with quote

HIWD wrote:
Do you know how to get rid of the pop-up on www.dot.tk???
It would really help... thanks :D

STOP CROSS POSTING AND USE YOUR BRAIN
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you're new here. Please note that because this forum has existed since 2001, almost all of the issues here have been covered. Please use the "Search" function at the top of the page to find answers to your question before posting a new thread. That will keep this Forum nice and clean.

Also, as you have seen, cross posting is not exactly a "condoned" practice here.

I am explaining to you why, because I felt useless flaming would get everyone nowhere.
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to make it that the dot.tk will make it do on my http:///web25.hopto.org cuz it won't work because its already redirected or im not sure how to do on other ports like port 8080 or anything. i want free dot.tk for it or i want paid but i dont want my parents to know i have paid for a domain. i know mith-host and its quite good that they accepts runescape items but its too much for me that 500,000gp and if anyone plays it or not. if you can lend me a domain name that would be thankful so please do something about my website please do so :)
-

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Draytek Reply with quote

How to enable this all with a Draytek Vigor 2200We

3 ports used, the Abyss PC is on the second port.

how how how :( can't get the darn thing to work!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a VPN, isn't it?

What is your internal IP Address?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: