ASP Error Line numbers and includes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwoody
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: ASP Error Line numbers and includes Reply with quote

I've recently started using Abyss web server and ActiveHTML instead of IIS and am quite happy with it. But there is one thing I do not like and I'm wondering if there is some sort of configuration in Abyss or ActiveHTML that could change it.

When I get an ASP error message, it gives me a line number that is a total of all the lines in the current page I'm editing and the included files. So I get something like "Error on line 550 in default.asp". This makes it hard to find the error in my code because it doesn't match up with the line number in Dreamweaver MX. In IIS it would give me the line number for that page excluding the included pages, and if it was an error in the included pages it would say "Error on line 35 in my_inc_file.asp".

Is there anyway to make Abyss/ActiveHTML dispaly error line numbers like IIS?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
mcwilliams132
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as you...

But...I'm guessing is that you're probably including the adovbs.inc file (which is about 500 lines of code) and when the page is parsed through AHTML/ABYSS...it'll count all the included lines, not what was returned to the browser.

You may want to develop under Personal IIS on your machine and then move it to Abyss when it's ready to go live if you want accurate error line numbers...

Annother good idea is to use <% Option Explicit %> and explicity DIM your variables...helps in debugging and makes your code easier to manage.

hope that helps...
:: "Lobster sticks to magnet!"
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gwoody
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestions. I don't use the adovbs.inc file, but I do use several include files of my own, such as the page header and footer, my db connection routine, sql prep functions and data validation routines that I wrote myself. This helps me keep the files I have to work with small and consistent.

Switching back to IIS is not what I want to do, but I may end up doing it for certain projects. Right now IIS is the production environment, but on my machine I only have win2k pro, so it is limited to 10 clients. The reason I switched to Abyss in the first place, was becuase of a ASP routine I found to read the sizes of images, and resize based on their actual dimensions. For some reason IIS considers it a new client each time this routine runs, and if a page contains more than 9 resized images, I get an error message telling me I'm over the client limit.

Any idea if apache server handles included line numbers better?
Or perhaps how to get around the IIS client limit problem I'm having?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwoody,

People always do the same confusion: Abyss does not process your ASP code. It is ActiveHTMl that does it. Abyss acts like a gateway between ActiveHTML and the client's browser. So changing to another web server won't help since you'll still using ActiveHTML.

The problem you describe comes from the way ActiveHTML processes the pages and stores line numbers. ActiveHTML is not the original ASP runner (the one from Micorsoft) so there may be differences in behavior like this one.

The best to do is to contact SeliSoft (the ActiveHTMl authors), to report the problem, and to suggest them to improve their product to have this feature.
mcwilliams132
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant was...or to clarify...

All your include lines are added up into the total lines for the parsed page...thus when parsed through AHTML...you'll get an error on line 532 instead of where it falls within the physical page.

I didn't suggest switching to IIS instead of Abyss...I only suggested testing your script through IIS to test your scripts before you run it through Abyss/AHTML. You have access to both...

IIS does an acurate job of showing where the error occured...whether it's in an include or the actual page. It won't give you the parsed line number...but the physical line number of the page or include...

Once you're satisfied that your script is working as you expect...copy/move your pages to your Abyss htdocs folder and let it roll.

Just use IIS as testbed...not as production (obviously due to it's limitations).

I don't think you'll get any results for AHTML for fixing this issue as it's actually doing what it supposed to do...parse the page.

Just setup a virtual directory in IIS to your web folder...and when you're happy...move it to Abyss for public consumption...
:: "Lobster sticks to magnet!"
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gwoody
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for everyone's help. I think what I'm going to do is just run IIS on a different port with the same folder locations for debugging purposes when I need to find out where the error occured and stick with Abyss/ActiveHTML for my primary testing server.

If I don't like how that is working, then I guess I will end up using IIS and changing the way my pages work to run the image size routine once when an image is added and store its dimensions in the db, so I can read them without having to run the image size routine everytime. Which is probably more efficient anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Classic ASP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: