ISP blocking port 110

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yalrighty
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: ISP blocking port 110 Reply with quote

I registered my domain with dnsmadeeasy.com and so now www.devoniawasteland.com goes to my abyss powered webserver. I added an MX record so that I should be able to recieve mail on my mailserver to admin@devoniawasteland.com but It isn't working.

I suspect that my ISP has blocked port 110 so that I cannot recieve mail on a server of my own. I can send mail but not revieve it. It there any way I can get around port 110 being blocked!!>>????
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
olly86
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a diffrent port :!: :!: :!:
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will I recieve mail on my server when it is using a different port? If people send mail to me its going to be on port 110 right?
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

110 isn't used for incoming mail on your own mail server. Incoming mail from other servers would go to the SMTP part of your server, it hands the email over to the POP server using the mail delivery agent. You collect it via your client using POP (110) so you'd be connecting to localhost to read your mail.

A lot of ISPs block users running SMTP servers to prevent spammers abusing their account and to protect users from themselves - if you haven't set up your mail server correctly you'll rapidly become a relay for spam albeit unintentionally.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
yalrighty
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only authenticated users can use the smtp server and it is behind a firewall. So how do I get around it being blocked?? I can send mail out but not revieve it.
yalrighty
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh crap lol I just took into consideration what you said and realized that I have not mapped port 25 .. I'll get back to you :lol:
yalrighty
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha I feel like such a retard now for even posting in the first place.. and the sad part is I know fully how DNS works and what ports that protocols use etc .. but now I look like retard ...

Word to the wise - don't configure your MX records, port mappings, email servers etc while under the influence :lol:
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have helped - sometimes takes someone else repeating what you already know to remind you you know it :D
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: