Running Abyss on the iPod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar G
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Running Abyss on the iPod Reply with quote

For interest to all concerned: http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/

Theoretically, one could install Abyss and make a personal, mobile server, but I don't have an ipod, and I have no idea how one would marry it up with an ethernet card or 802.11b/g card, but, hey, that can't be far away!

Probably, it would be better to install the Win32 version of Abyss on a PocketPC 2003, like from Compaq, for which one can buy a CompactFlash size 802.11 card...

- OmarG
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Omar G
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this!

"If you read the documentation, it says when the iPod boots the Linux kernel it will automatically configure its local ethernet device (ethernet over firewire/IEEE1394) and then starts inetd so that network connections via telnet may be made.

The default configuration is for the iPod to use 192.10.1.2 and to allow telnet connections. The default address may be changed by editing the /etc/rc script."

HOT BEANS, MAN!

- OmarG
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Abyss on the iPod Reply with quote

Omar G,

The iPod has an ARM7 processor but the Linux version of Abyss is compiled for the Intel 80x86 family. So the code won't run (until we generate an ARM7 version).
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... that's too bad. Well I would love to see an iPod (Linux) version of Abyss come out.
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ARM7, compiling would be as simple (?!) as changing the processor parameter in the makefile... and perhaps then watch the error messages scroll. But, since Abyss already runs on several OS, would changing the processor be too difficult?
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably wouldn't be too hard to change it; but I would love for Aprelium to work fully on the next major build before a version comes out for the iPod.
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar G wrote:
An ARM7, compiling would be as simple (?!) as changing the processor parameter in the makefile... and perhaps then watch the error messages scroll. But, since Abyss already runs on several OS, would changing the processor be too difficult?

No, Abyss was designed from day 1 to be portable so there would be no problem to perform a cross-compilation to target another processor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: