not wanting to seem ungrateful, but.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: not wanting to seem ungrateful, but..... Reply with quote

.....I always want more, I have been holding off going public with a new site pending .htaccess support (or similar) which was tipped to be available at the end of June/start of July. Any word on version 1.1 yet, I am chomping at the bit to get going with this one!!!

Thanks,
Banshee
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: not wanting to seem ungrateful, but..... Reply with quote

Banshee wrote:
.....I always want more, I have been holding off going public with a new site pending .htaccess support (or similar) which was tipped to be available at the end of June/start of July. Any word on version 1.1 yet, I am chomping at the bit to get going with this one!!!

All we can say is "we are really sorry". Version 1.1 is currently under heavy internal tests. In fact, we were too optimistic when we announced that the release will be for the beginning of July.
We understand that you want more but please consider that we have too much to do with a small team. We aren't yet a big .com company :D
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We understand, but also you did lose the ability to have masses of people look and test and fix your code when you went closed source....
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
We understand, but also you did lose the ability to have masses of people look and test and fix your code when you went closed source....

Open source versus closed source is a long debate. But we believe that pne must do choices at some point. We choosed to go closed source because the open source experience wasn't so interesting.
Our problem is not how to test the code. What takes us too much time is writing the documentation (which people do not read :D ) , doing extensive testing and improving the usablility of the software. We doubt open source developers care a lot about that.
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure they do! Linux is a great example. There is even a documentation project were you can get information for almost anything in it. Besides that look at how many people your sever has helped here! Surely some of us could have helped you all?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
Sure they do! Linux is a great example. There is even a documentation project were you can get information for almost anything in it. Besides that look at how many people your sever has helped here! Surely some of us could have helped you all?

You seem to forget that we are a company. Our goals can't be reached with the open source model. If you speak about Linux, let us remind you that Linux was only known by a handful of geeks for several years before some majors and some media saw in it the next big thing that can make an alternative to Microsoft's software.
The Linux Doc project is there and it is great. But it was launched years after the first release of Linux.
You can help us if you want to: tell your friends about Abyss Web Server and if you have time, be one of our beta testers... That will help us too much :D
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell everybody about your cool tiny server and just tell me when the beta comes out and ill be there. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
I tell everybody about your cool tiny server and just tell me when the beta comes out and ill be there. :D

same for me.

i found this tiny server software and i knew - it was my thing. now i hope 1.1 is out soon, which has the features i´m missing until now.

if there´s a way to make a donation to you, let me know... i really like to give you some euros
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
feamsr00 wrote:

same for me.

i found this tiny server software and i knew - it was my thing. now i hope 1.1 is out soon, which has the features i´m missing until now.

if there´s a way to make a donation to you, let me know... i really like to give you some euros

Thank you for your support. A technology preview release is available for testing now. Please read more at http://www.aprelium.com/new/abws107tp.html .
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: free or pay Reply with quote

I assume that as you are a company you will want to make a profit at some point. open source=no profit therefore does this mean that at some point there wll be a charge for Abyss?

Dave
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: free or pay Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I assume that as you are a company you will want to make a profit at some point. open source=no profit therefore does this mean that at some point there wll be a charge for Abyss?

There will be always a free version of Abyss Web Server available for personal use. But we can not speak too much about the future now. Our major goal is releasing version 1.1 (which will remain free :D )
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Excellent news Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing 1.1 in action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: