How to lockout internet access and allow only local access?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobN
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: How to lockout internet access and allow only local access? Reply with quote

I am using Abyss simply to test web pages locally - I do not intend to, nor do I want to, make anything on the system available to anyone on the internet or any local network.

How do I do it?

I've specified 127.0.0.1 in the Allow IP list and nothing in the Deny. I have "order" set to Allow/Deny. The virtual path is simply "\"

The documentation says that putting addresses in the Allow list with nothing in the Deny list and with Order set to Allow/Deny will allow only those IPs in the Allow list and will deny everything else.

Is that correct?

Have I locked out everything but access from 127.0.0.1 - in other words, have I blocked access from anywhere but this computer?

Bob
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to lockout internet access and allow only local acce Reply with quote

BobN,

Your solution is perfect.

There is another one:
* Open the console
* Select "Configure" in "Hosts"
* Select "General"
* Select "Advanced Parameters"
* Set "Bind to IP" to 127.0.0.1
* Press "OK"
* Press "OK"
* Press "Restart"

By doing that, you force Abyss Web Server to listen only on connections on the "network card" associated with the local IP. This is not a real "network card", it's a virtual one which only accepts connections from 127.0.0.1 (it is sometimes called the loopback interface.)

To revert to the old behavior, set "Bind to IP" to * which will instruct Abyss Web Server to listen to incoming connections from all your network cards.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
BobN
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the reply and info. Reply with quote

Thanks for replying.

I've done as you suggested so I guess it is really locked down now.

Abyss does what I needed - the ability to test pages locally instead of having to upload them to the server just to test things.

Thanks,

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: