project dead?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patriotfdb
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: project dead? Reply with quote

Is this project alive? It seems quiet around here as there has not been an update to the software in a year and also very slow forum posting with many posts by users left unanswered.

I had looked at this software a year ago and was considering buying it but it does not look so good at this point.

One question if the project is still alive, do you use mod_security in your security set up or is it just a hardened config file (which is what it seems to be)?

If you do not use mod_security is it easily to get it to place nice with it?

Thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
artidens
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know too! Just received an email about extending my update protection. If the project really is dead, then I don't want to spend $25 on it.
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artidens wrote:
I would like to know too! Just received an email about extending my update protection. If the project really is dead, then I don't want to spend $25 on it.

Dear artidens,

We're actually planning the release of a new version 2.7 during this quarter.

Best regards
gsownsby
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last reply from Aprelium was in April 2010. 2.7 has'nt made it yet. As was noted in a previous post, sure seems quiet around here.

I wish Aprelium were be a little more chatty in telling us what is going on not only with 2.7 but with them as a whole.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted to extend my update protection (I didn't sadly), but it's hard to give these guys a chance when we're never told a thing. I was under the impression 2.7 was coming a year ago and that 3 was nearly beta at that time. Clearly the situation was otherwise. Aprelium was releasing a new version every year plus or minus a month or two. It's been nearly 2 years since 2.6. Aprelium, throw us a bone!

I'm still running 2.6 on my server, but I'll have to switch at some point if these guys don't keep up with the times. At this point I think Aprelium better come up with at least a public 3 beta release, not just their intended 2.7 update. Show us a sign of good faith or you'll have no customers left...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, I've always like Abyss, and Aprelium's service. I haven't updated my protection for the same reason, though I did get a 2.6.4 beta in the mean time that seems to take care of the 500 server errors I had with 2.6. That's a good sign.

I hope, however, that 2.7 / 3 will come out, because I hate Apache with a passion, but will have to switch if some security or functionality problem arises and I need a quick fix.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,

Aprelium's staff has been using three identities on this forum "aprelium", "aprelium-support" and "admin" since its inception.

It is true that "aprelium" is no more used since April but other identities are keeping replying to questions. Not all questions are answered because this forum is mutual support forum and it is unpractical to reply to each and every message posted here.

The forum has also been the target for spammers and a lot of our time was spent cleaning their mess instead of answering. The situation is now better thanks to the custom work we've done on the script running our forum.

Our support staff has never stopped replying to messages by emails for both the normal and the priority addresses.

Our apparent silence is a fact but we're still dedicating a lot of energy to our product and its users and customers.

On the development side, we've had a lot of trouble with the architecture of the new major version 3.0. It has been announced too early and speculations about it made us waste a lot of time interact with prospective customers and users and explain what it will or won't do/be. This was coupled with year of economic crisis and you get the picture.

We had to step back and dump the efforts started on 3.0, backport some of them to the 2.x series, and keep our company afloat until the storm passes.

The times are better now and we're focusing on finalizing version 2.7. Some of you may have received an early incarnation of it numbered 2.6.4 months ago.

2.7's major addition is native 64-bit support on Windows and Linux.

X2 customers who are now running version 2.6 will have immediate access to 2.7 regardless of their update protection status. This will our way to say "sorry for the long wait". :)
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
richardyork
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Aprelium (Admin)!
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

Thanks for the update and the offer to upgrade for X2 owners like me. I have nothing but good karma to send Aprelium's way being a financial storm survivor myself.
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update on Abyss. Much appreciated.

As a customer for a while, and with a licensed version of 2.6.4 X2, with expired update protection, where would I go to see about the 2.7 version? Or is that pending until all is finalized?

Thanks again.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your replies. It is quite relieving to receive such a positive feedback from you.

Toasty wrote:
As a customer for a while, and with a licensed version of 2.6.4 X2, with expired update protection, where would I go to see about the 2.7 version? Or is that pending until all is finalized?

We'll send email to customers who are eligible to receive 2.7 free of charge when it will be released. They will then be able to log in their customer zone and download the new version.
Forum Administrator
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
We'll send email to customers who are eligible to receive 2.7 free of charge when it will be released. They will then be able to log in their customer zone and download the new version.
That's a nice gesture.

Without any hype or optimism, I'm curious how is version 3 coming?

Are there any other feature additions in 2.7?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrinc wrote:
Without any hype or optimism, I'm curious how is version 3 coming?

For now, we prefer not disclosing any information about version 3. We hope you understand our position. :)

rrinc wrote:
Are there any other feature additions in 2.7?

64-bit support is the major addition. New parameters to control FastCGI processes spawning and load have been added too.
Forum Administrator
dancingbear
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly there was talk, at one point, of 2.7 having a reverse proxy ability. Is this still a possibility? It would help me big-time with my set-up.

Simon (Dancingbear)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
fearworksmedia
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news! Thanks Aprelium for updating us on the situation!

I look forward to the 2.7 update - my update protection has expired so this is a very generous gesture.

How long do you think it will be before this update gets released? I appreciate you cannot commit to a date, but in general terms - this month? Before Christmas? After?

Thanks again!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dancingbear,

Unfortunately, the reverse proxy feature will not be release in 2.7. We've worked on it but it is not as polished as it should be. So it will be postponed to 2.8.

Regarding the ETA, we expect 2.7 to be ready for public release before the end of 2010. We are currently testing the latest build intensively before releasing the first Beta. An early test release has been powering aprelium.com since a few months and so far so good (especially with the new set of FastCGI load limit parameters.)

By the way, we forgot also to mention that 2.7 will add support to ASP.NET 4.0.
Forum Administrator
rdss
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been waiting for at least some news/activity and that's why I didn't extend my update protection in time. (back in January it expired, with the extending possibility also expiring by March)
If activity resumes and new versions will be released on a more-or-less stable schedule, I would definitely resume my protection if this possibility is offered as well.
I would be thrilled to have Aprelium power my web pages again! :)
fearworksmedia
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Unfortunately I have made the major decision to stop using Abyss Web Server and switch to another well-known free server. If I'm honest, I would rather keep paying to use Abyss, but I'm afraid with no movement on any upgrades (apart from the beta 2.6.9, which isn't a production release) I cannot wait any longer.

It's a real shame, as it suggests that other once-discussed features like a web control panel where individual users could tweak their own settings rather than only one admin control panel, may never come to fruition.

In these tough economic times, one would have thought that any company would be going all-out to get software on the market which sells sells sells - rather than sitting on a two-year-old release. Of course, "us" hosting people DO want to push our business forward in order to survive, which is why such painful decisions have to be made - I wonder if I'm the only one who's left for another server platform?

Aprelium, I feel no disloyalty, as I have not let you down - in fact it very much feels like it's the other way around. My ability to update expired long ago, and although I would flock back instantly if major upgrades were released, particularly with that control panel thing ;) for now I am going to focus on my customers.

When you do too, I'll be back!
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprelium, any news?
jduffy
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Folks give them a break Reply with quote

I absolutely love the Abyss web server. Having tried numerous easy to manage web server applications, I found Abyss. Two previous applications I used, Sambar and Instantserver had the author abandon those applications. It appears Abyss has a larger following so hopefully there is enough money behind the application to keep it going.

One comment that amused me was the guy who said he was going to the other webserver because there was no update in the last two years. I assume he means Apache. Great webserver but no easy to use GUI out there for it like Abyss has. Good luck learning it, it has one heck of a learning curve.

I am not sure why everyone pushes for a new version. To do what? Maybe 64 bit (native) as it works on a 64bit system now. Sure some minor tweaks maybe, but give the guys a break. They said they are working on it.

Right now it is running 15 virtual websites for me on one system. Seems to work very well. I'd like a 64bit application, but I can wait, as the version now works just fine.

And unlike some, I did re-up my support agreement. So while some will get an update free, I did pay for mine when it comes.
fearworksmedia
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I meant Apache. The learning curve wasn't that steep and it's happily running right now on five servers, each one serving out a fair number of sites. And if you use a control panel to administer it then really you only need to delve into the config files when you need a specific tweak in place.

Why does everyone push for a new version? Because they want new features and evolution for the software they use. And I HAVE given the guys at Aprelium a break - over two years now, and still no official "production use" update release.

And finally, if you are happy to continue paying for your update support when you aren't receiving any then that is your decision, but most people would grumble at that.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,

We understand the frustration of some of you. But the economic issues urged us to diversify our activities. This does not mean that Abyss Web Server is neglected. It is actually used by all our other projects and this helped improve it far more than during the previous years of collected customers feedback.

The diversification was also required to not close the shop. Having a single product (or several products) in the same field for the same kind of customers is a programmed suicide these days.

A pool of products helped us remain alive and bring money to continue the development of Abyss Web Server.

Still, there are problems and delays. Most of them are due to the technological issues we had with ASP.NET 4.0 support and the myriad of frameworks introduced by it. Ensuring compatibility and 100% functionality with ASP.NET 4.0 is a major milestone and we felt it was required since many customers and users requested that.

For your information, test releases of 2.7 (versions 2.6.x) were released more than one year ago. Version 2.6.9 is now fully tested and feedback about it is very positive. We prefer taking our time to deliver high quality software rather than rushing and publishing a so-so piece of code. :)

2.7 is on the launch pad and we will announce more about its release date in the coming days.

We are also planning to release version 2.8 by the end of 2011.

Many thanks for your support and your feedback.
Forum Administrator
glenh
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:

2.7 is on the launch pad and we will announce more about its release date in the coming days.

We are also planning to release version 2.8 by the end of 2011.

Many thanks for your support and your feedback.

I need a release that allows use of .Net 4. I believe 2.7 will include that support so will it be released before 2.8 ie some time this year?

Thanks
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Folks give them a break Reply with quote

jduffy wrote:
I am not sure why everyone pushes for a new version. To do what? Maybe 64 bit (native) as it works on a 64bit system now. Sure some minor tweaks maybe, but give the guys a break. They said they are working on it.

Most people won't invest in desktop products that don't show a good life cycle. A web server MUST have an active development team, and a life cycle that keeps new versions coming out. I'm not aware of any real security issues with Abyss (Except that the console can be brute forced, but whoop-de-doo, so can most sites), however I question how fast a revision will be pushed out in the case of a security issue?

This goes beyond Abyss's security, PHP/ASP/etc's security too. What if a major security problem is found in PHP, and they kick out a new version that for whatever reason is not compatible with Abyss's CGI handler? Then we have an issue where we're stuck with an outdated version of PHP due to our server software.

While I understand that software takes time to be developed, and that Aprelium has always done an amazing job only releasing stable versions publicly, two years is a long time in such a rapidly evolving technological field. Us folks who already paid for the extension of our update protection and didn't get anything in that year shouldn't have to pay for this version (this means me), and proclaiming that you paid for this version doesn't mean anything except that you bought into 2.6 within the past year to us. We do pay, and support the software.

If we all were expected to continue paying for the software with no release cycle, I could see piracy of the software going up from people who feel cheated. Doesn't it make more sense for Aprelium to release the version to use paid users for free from a PR standpoint? I think so.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Folks give them a break Reply with quote

Toasty,

We understand your concerns, but the software is being actively supported and we're here for any major security issue or vulnerability.

If PHP releases a broken CGI thing, it's their fault not ours. We are not here to fix their issues : CGI and FastCGI are well documented protocols and the publisher who breaks the rules has to fix the problem on its side.

Now regarding paying for a new version : we said above that all the users of 2.6 will get 2.7 for free. Update protections will be extended accordingly with no extra to all customers who had access to version 2.6.

Regarding the console issue, it has been fixed in the latest 2.7 even though it is only a minor issue which isn't a threat in the real world.
Forum Administrator
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was simply justifying the fact that people had valid concerns with any product that is this mission-critical.

I'm a huge fan of Abyss, and have used it for half a decade now, and have testimonials on the site here about it as well. They still are true and valid.

The console issue -- it isn't an issue at all if you keep it to LAN only, not forwarding 9999 outside that... At least I'd imagine most people would do it that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: