SMTP Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethecomputer
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: SMTP Problems Reply with quote

I've tried everything i know of.
but i need help with configuring hmailserver so it works with php and abyss fluently.

any help?

thanks in advance,
Joe
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, Joe.

Many people have posted similar questions. hmailserver has nothing to do with Abyss or PHP.

The only integration might be a PHP script that sends mail or a script that works with IMAP (like Squirrelmail), of which both use Abyss.

What are you trying to do with hmailserver?
Just set it up? --> http://www.hmailserver.com/documentation/

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
joethecomputer
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, what i am really trying to do is set up my own mail server. i have a domain which points to my server. what i want now is to be able to send mail to other people via my server without a relayer and recieve massages with email@domain.com (and yes, i have the cname records set up)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're running this from broadband then you're out of luck. Email servers will not run from broadband connections properly for several reasons.

1. Most dynamic IP blocks are blacklisted for spam, preventing any server with the likes of spamhaus spam protection enabled from even looking at the mail.

2. Reverse DNS is a big no no with broadband. You simply won't get one thats associated with your domain. For this reason some servers also won't look at your mail and will refuse it.

This as a whole means that 75% of your mail will never actually get to you or get to whoever you sent it to. Yes its a pain I know but I lived with this for just over 1 year before getting a dedicated server with a static IP and changeable rDNS from a data center (at a cost of $120/month I might add) and I only put up with it because it was mainly used for sending mail (through a relayer).

You can happily send e-mail as long as you use your ISP's relayer but you won't have much luck receiving e-mails.

You are better off getting a cheap $1 a month deal with some company for e-mail and save yourself the hassle.
joethecomputer
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i'm with orange broadband here in the uk and i know i can send email through it. but how do i set it up with php on windows. it needs a username and password. can i use it as a relayer?

--edit--

could i use my gmail account as a relayer?
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethecomputer wrote:
okay, i'm with orange broadband here in the uk and i know i can send email through it. but how do i set it up with php on windows. it needs a username and password. can i use it as a relayer?

--edit--

could i use my gmail account as a relayer?

Yes, simply use the username and password option in hMailServer.
joethecomputer
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, i know this sounds like a real n00b question, but can someone help me with the ACTUAL configuration of hmailserver so i can send mail from my gmail address
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethecomputer wrote:
right, i know this sounds like a real n00b question, but can someone help me with the ACTUAL configuration of hmailserver so i can send mail from my gmail address

Its actually not that hard. Add yourself a domain and an account, which is pretty self explanatory. Then go into protocols and SMTP then add your gmail/orange server address and any username or password needed. Then in outlook express or a mail client of your choice, add in your account and make sure authentication for sending mail is enabled. Et viola. Set up. Easy.

Also make sure you have MX records pointing to your server if you want to attempt receiving mail.
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethecomputer wrote:

If you have any trouble with Andy's advice, you can see http://stephen.calvarybucyrus.org/redirect.php?page=gmail_php
It is a standalone PHP script that will send mail on behalf of your Gmail account. No mail server necessary.
(The script is set up to be a "Contact Me" page. If you need help making it send mail to other people, let me know.)

http://CodeBin.yi.org

Last edited by pkSML on Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkSML wrote:
joethecomputer wrote:

If you have any trouble with Andy's advice, you can see http://stephen.calvarybucyrus.org/redirect.php?page=gmail_php
It is a standalone PHP script that will send mail on behalf of your Gmail account. No mail server necessary.

This might not benefit the OP, I believe he wants to send normal e-mail via his mail client using it.
joethecomputer
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i basically want to do is set up sendmail in php.ini to work with my gmail account
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethecomputer wrote:
what i basically want to do is set up sendmail in php.ini to work with my gmail account

Then you will need to use an SMTP server and the relayer as talked about above. The script is only for sending mail with a custom built script/page but this can be hard on forums etc.
joethecomputer
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alos, in the long run, is it worth buying the x2 server?
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethecomputer wrote:
alos, in the long run, is it worth buying the x2 server?

If you intend to run more than one website then its definitely worth it. You also get extra features and priority support which is great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: