Similar to: No-one can see me but myself!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfrench

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Similar to: No-one can see me but myself! Reply with quote

I've had Abyss running OK on my main machine (connected to a cable modem) for a few days. Have been accessing the site from my home LAN no problems. Have also set up a dynip account. Works fine - FROM HOME! but... just found out that remote users can't connect to me. Basically, anything beyond my Cable Modem gets "This page cannot be displayed". It's not a DNS issue as I get the same problem if I try to connect to the IP address.

First I thought this was a firewall problem. However, I'm not using a firewall, and I'm pretty sure my ISP (ntlworld) isn't (see below). I've disabled Winroute Lite (used for DHCP and to manage subnets on the LAN) and this makes no difference (apart from stopping the other machines on the LAN working, of course). Nothing else is running, as far as I am aware, that would block traffic. I'm using Win2K.

The odd thing is, I can use the web server in VisionGS PE (a webcam application which also includes web services) and have no problems - anybody can access. However, I don't want to use this web server - I'd rather use Abyss as it's a better server.

Please let me know if you can help. Another user reports a similar issue but unlike him I'm not using a Firewire card.

Thanks,
David
complexprocess
-

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you give the ip rredirect place 127.0.0.1 as your ip?
that ip is the local one on every pc, so it will do you no good.

Go to http://www.ip-address.com/ to get your real ip. They have a script that detects the ip of the machine that makes the request. simple enough, and you know they have the right one because that's the only way a web server can send info back to you.

I believe it gets the ip of your modem, which is then subdivided so each machine on your network (assuming you have one) has another ip so the network can pass info around. i've never signed up with dynip or anything like that, but i'm sure it has the capability to track multiple 'levels' so to speek. look for a forum or tech help address on their site. to get the ip of your machine on the network, run 'ipconfig' (not sure on that one) for win 2000/nt or 'winipcfg' for windows 9x/me. i hope some of my rambling helps you.

.scott
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: