FTP address do I have one with this server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrone
-

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: FTP address do I have one with this server Reply with quote

Do I get an FTP address for others online to access my server
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
The Seeker

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: FTP address do I have one with this server Reply with quote

Tyrone wrote:
Do I get an FTP address for others online to access my server

No. This a a webpage) server...not an FTP server...which you can install to run on another port if you want. This webserver runs on port 80 by default (the normal webserver port) while FTP servers run on port 21.

The URL or address to your server would be your IP address. If you have cable or DSL, you probably have a static IP address (one that is always the same). But, if you have a dial-up connection, your IP address is "dynamic" (changes each time you connect). If it's ststic, then you can give people your address like: http://123.456.789.10 (that's just an example) and they will be able to see your webpages. If you have a dynamic IP address, it's hard because it always changes.

The best thing to do in either case would be to get a virtual DNS address. That will allow you to get a "normal" style web address like http://my-site.***.com. These can be had for free at places like www.deerfield.com (DNS2GO).

If you're only looking for FTP, those usually ARE just your IP address.
Tyrone
-

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no what I meant is so my friend can upload files from his pc to my server its for his website
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Seeker

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrone wrote:
no what I meant is so my friend can upload files from his pc to my server its for his website

Then you need to install an FTP server and not a webserver.

Try WAR_FTP Daemon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: