Perl -vs- CGI

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Perl -vs- CGI Reply with quote

I am reposting this as it may have been overlooked as a reply in a previous thread:

Quote:
aprelium wrote:
You can bypass the use of the line #! if you follow our PERL installation guide. The use of this line is needed on UNIX systems only.

When you say "bypass the use of this line", do you mean delete it from the beginning of the script, or that just setting the server's configuration to allow windows registry to look for perl will bypass it automatically?

Another question....if you install a script with the .cgi extension in the cgi-bin, and have perl installed, do you need to enter "cgi" as well as "pl" in the associated extensions? Do you change the script's extension to .pl or can you leave it as .cgi ?

Also, if you install the latest version of "Active Perl", you will have several different 'perl.exe' files in your "C:\Perl\bin" folder. Which one do you want to place the path to?

Finally, my script asks me to edit the URL of some images as well as the "Real Path" to a text file. By "real path", does it mean something like C:\Program Files\**\** or C:/Program Files/**/** (or am I completely wrong with both)? And since my IP changes dynamically, can I use a domain like DNS2GO as the URL to these image files...or do I have to use my IP address?

Thanks!
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Perl -vs- CGI Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

When you say "bypass the use of this line", do you mean delete it from the beginning of the script, or that just setting the server's configuration to allow windows registry to look for perl will bypass it automatically?

Yes you can delete the line beginning with #! from the script or just uncheck the "Resolve interpreter from the #! line" in the CGI Parameters.

Guest wrote:

Another question....if you install a script with the .cgi extension in the cgi-bin, and have perl installed, do you need to enter "cgi" as well as "pl" in the associated extensions? Do you change the script's extension to .pl or can you leave it as .cgi ?

Yes, your guess is right. You should add "cgi" to the extensions associated with perl.

Guest wrote:

Also, if you install the latest version of "Active Perl", you will have several different 'perl.exe' files in your "C:\Perl\bin" folder. Which one do you want to place the path to?

It is impossible to have several perl.exe in the same place (in the same directory, you cannot have two files with the same name). Anyway, you should locate ActivePerl's perl.exe and use it as the Perl interpreter.

Guest wrote:

Finally, my script asks me to edit the URL of some images as well as the "Real Path" to a text file. By "real path", does it mean something like C:\Program Files\**\** or C:/Program Files/**/** (or am I completely wrong with both)?

It depends on the script. But most of them should accept both forms. It is up to you to try and check which one works better.

Guest wrote:

And since my IP changes dynamically, can I use a domain like DNS2GO as the URL to these image files...or do I have to use my IP address?

In this case, you'll have to use your DNS2GO name since the IP can hannge.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Perl -vs- CGI Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!

I guess I wasn't too clear when I asked:

Quote:
Guest wrote:

Quote:

You answered:

It is impossible to have several perl.exe in the same place (in the same directory, you cannot have two files with the same name). Anyway, you should locate ActivePerl's perl.exe and use it as the Perl interpreter.

What I mean is that in the C:\Perl\bin folder, there are different .exe files which I assume are different versions of Perl (ie: Perl.exe , wperl.exe, perl5.6.1.exe). Is using the perl.exe in my path sufficient or should I be pointing it to another version?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Perl -vs- CGI Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

What I mean is that in the C:\Perl\bin folder, there are different .exe files which I assume are different versions of Perl (ie: Perl.exe , wperl.exe, perl5.6.1.exe). Is using the perl.exe in my path sufficient or should I be pointing it to another version?

Use perl.exe as stated in our installation guide.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Perl -vs- CGI Reply with quote

Great! Thanks, it's up and running now!

It's just alittle weird working on your own hardrive when your are so used to working within a virtual host's service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: