Router Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaYJaY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:01 am    Post subject: Router Problems Reply with quote

I'vee read other posts, but I can't figure anything out. I have Verizon DSL with an SMC Router. I have 2 computer on the router. One has the site, the other doesn't. I can view everything from the network, but not from outside. I have no idea what to do on the router. I tried to open ports, but I can figure it out. Im not exactly sure what my IP is....The router has an IP, when i goto a a website to get my IP, iget a different one, and when I open up other web servers, I get another IP. I have no idea what IP i need to give out to others and how to get the ports working.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Router Problems Reply with quote

JaYJaY wrote:
I'vee read other posts, but I can't figure anything out. I have Verizon DSL with an SMC Router. I have 2 computer on the router. One has the site, the other doesn't. I can view everything from the network, but not from outside. I have no idea what to do on the router. I tried to open ports, but I can figure it out. Im not exactly sure what my IP is....The router has an IP, when i goto a a website to get my IP, iget a different one, and when I open up other web servers, I get another IP. I have no idea what IP i need to give out to others and how to get the ports working.

You should read the manual bought with the router to know how to open ports. We can't tell you how as it depends on the router.
Similar/relevant posts can be found at http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78.
To know what is your real IP address, browse http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/ .
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be mistaken but I am also a Verizon DSL customer so im going to guess here to try to help u out(this information may be particlar to Philadelphia or maybe even me).
From you there may be 3 visible as local.
Code:
         You                               Router                         Private Verizon Machine
    A private IP          ->    Another Private IP told       ->       may be the concentrator for -\
10.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x.             to you as you gateway                        your modem         \|/
                                        (local side)                            IP=10.7.37.1

And finally your POP
This what other see you
  on the internet as
   141.158.X.XXX
    or maybe just
  141.XXX.XXX.XXX

Probly you will have to open whatever port on you router you will be serving on, because I know Verizon will NOT open port 80 unless they are hosting for you.... For example I use dns2go and they have port redirecting, so I send mine to 8080 because nothing I have now runs on that port and its easy to remmber. Hope this was of somehelp
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: