ftp server help needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amt167
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: ftp server help needed Reply with quote

Hello folks im using an ftp server inconjuction with abyss to allow people to upload files to their webspace however i want to make file available for them via ftp in a folder called downloads obviuosly abyss is using my ip address so how do i get one of those pages with a white back ground and blue links without it compromising my security in abyss i have auto directory indexing off so people cant get to my cgi bin.

also i need a few users to sign up for some free webspace to test it any one interested can go to www.freesite.tk.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TheLinker
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ftp server help needed Reply with quote

amt167 wrote:
Hello folks im using an ftp server inconjuction with abyss to allow people to upload files to their webspace however i want to make file available for them via ftp in a folder called downloads obviuosly abyss is using my ip address so how do i get one of those pages with a white back ground and blue links without it compromising my security in abyss i have auto directory indexing off so people cant get to my cgi bin.

also i need a few users to sign up for some free webspace to test it any one interested can go to www.freesite.tk.

Hi amt167...

I'm not sure what you mean here... What files do you want to make available for download ? ... and you want to make them available via ftp ?

I don't know if the following scenario will work for you, but here is one solution...:

1. You need to set up your ftp server with personal user directories for each user configured.

2. Inside the users respective directories, you can make a html directory.

3. In your Abyss configuration, you make alias directories which is equal to the login user name for each user on the ftp server...

4. In the personal user directory on your ftp server, you make a softlink from the html directory to the users alias directory on Abyss...

5. When users upload files to their html directory, it will be available from the web server also...

6. For the user to be able to list all files uploaded in the browser, you need to make some sort of script which can list the contents of the directory and create an html file from the result. This is if you have switched off directory indexing...

I don't know if you can do all this in your ftp server... I think this is possible with Serv-U FTP Server ...

Regards...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, using a cleverly writen php script or two and some forms, all that can be done automatcly.
AND for you ftp needs Cerberus FTP Server is a completly free professional-feel server that I HIGHLY recomend using.www.cerberusftp.com/

Last edited by feamsr00 on Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: I tested your site. Reply with quote

well, your login works. The acount sets up like a charm (painless, unlike many hosts) and the main manager page displays well, but it asks for another login when I click on anything (account set up, upload files, etc...) Nice start so far. You might consider adding php support, and maybe even mySQL, since it's free and easy to do.

.scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: