Abyss pulls ahead to #1 again :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccs
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Abyss pulls ahead to #1 again :) Reply with quote

Ok, I've been a LOOOOOOONG time Sambar owner. I've got a few dozen sites running under it. I hear about Abyss 2.0 and give it a try. Its got a much nicer interface and seems to work a bit faster. However I soon learn that it doesn't support SSL so I'm back to Sambar.

Few months later, I see Abyss now supports FastCGI, a good thing, so I renew my service agreement and give it another try. Still no SSL support but now I learn about a 3rd party (STunnel) that might fit the bill. Not really interested in 3rd party add-ons though, so again, it sits unused.

My largest customer calls, the one whom I've spent 300+ hours building a custom CGI application for, and tells me that nobody with Firefox can see the site....the page won't render. Ok, I spend 60 hours trying to find whats wrong with my coding and finally give up. I set up another server running Abyss and mirrored this eCom site to the new Abyss server.....and Firefox works perfectly. So now I'm stuck. Still no native SSL support which is critical for this application, but clearly Sambar is not rendering properly for Firefox....too big an audience to simply ignore.

On goes STunnel and sure enough, the SSL support seems pretty reliable. Now to do some benchmarks.... My CGI application (called 9 times for a single customer from start to finish) is 60 times faster under FastCGI than normal CGI!!!

Wow! Ok, I'm sold (again)..... I just hope that we'll see native SSL support soon so I can sleep a bit better at night.

Thanks Aprelium! I've been amazed at your customer support, now you're amazing me even more with your products!

(Ever think about doing an EMail server? I'm in the market to switch that too! :D )
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard that SSL will be native in a future release.

Aprelium are working on the web server for now but may extend their programming when/if the need or demand comes.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe SSL will be out before the end of 2006, but I don't know for sure.

Keep using the software, and tell your friends about it. :-)

Sincerely, TRUSTpunk
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Abyss pulls ahead to #1 again :) Reply with quote

ccs,

Thank you for the great testimonial. We're really proud of such a positive feedback about our technical support and Abyss Web Server.

We are actively working on SSL support and we'll contact you as soon as we'll have a preview release.

Out of curiosity, what programming language are you using for your application (PowerBasic??) ? What is the library you have used to transform it to FastCGI?
ccs
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: AAARRRGGGGGGG Reply with quote

Here I am again, about a year later and still no NATIVE SSL support.

It took a number of days for me to finally get STUNNEL to work last time. Now my certificate expired and once again I'm faced with trying to figure out how to get something as simple as SSL running on Abyss AGAIN.

I can't locate all the various threads that we went through to get this (@#&@^ thing working last time, so before I give up on Abyss and move to something with SSL already included I'd like to know this:

(a) Is there ever going to be native SSL support in Abyss in my life time? (say sometime in the next 40 years?)

(b) Is there an easy way to get a RENEWED certificate into STUNNEL or do I have to go through all the headaches and BS that I did last time?

If the answer to (b) is no, can someone tell me again, how I go about getting my purchased CERT to work with SSL and Abyss?

If the answer to (a) is no, then please let me know now so I can get another web server up and running without wasting more time on Abyss. If its Yes, can you give me any sort of time frame.

Thank you all for any assistance possible

BYW, I have the paid version of Abyss, not the freebie.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSL support is being developed still from what I heard. It takes time to get a
stable application onto the internet. Your original post about your Certificates
can be found here:

http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=57622

They still have the URL Rewriting feature to pick up on and other features they
currently don't have yet. Give them some time to Develope it.

Note: The "URL Rewriting" is planned for the coming release. :-)

Sincerely, Josh (TRUSTAbyss)
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AAARRRGGGGGGG Reply with quote

ccs wrote:
(a) Is there ever going to be native SSL support in Abyss in my life time? (say sometime in the next 40 years?)

We have never provided an ETA for an SSL version nor promised to any customer that there will be such a version by a specific date. We are working on the SSL version and we will release it when we'll feel it is 100% ready and tested (we will never release half finished products).

ccs wrote:
(b) Is there an easy way to get a RENEWED certificate into STUNNEL or do I have to go through all the headaches and BS that I did last time?

Renewing a certificate consists in using the same old private key and going through all the procedure (generating a certificate signing request, submitting to the certification authority, paying, getting your new certificate, and replacing the old with the new one). This procedure cannot be automated because except the first (generating a certificate signing request) and the last step, operations are manual.

ccs wrote:
If the answer to (b) is no, can someone tell me again, how I go about getting my purchased CERT to work with SSL and Abyss?

Create a new mycert.pem file inside STunnel's directory and copy in it the contents of these files in this exact order (with a blank line between the contents of each two files). Myhost.key is your private key file.

Code:
[myhost.key]

[Your certificate from GoDaddy]

[Sf_issuing.crt]

[Valicert_class2_root.cer]

Here is the STunnel.conf file that should work with it.

Code:
; Certificate/key is needed in server mode and optional in client mode
; The default certificate is provided only for testing and should not
; be used in a production environment
cert = mycert.pem
;key = stunnel.pem

; Some performance tunings
socket = l:TCP_NODELAY=1
socket = r:TCP_NODELAY=1

; Workaround for Eudora bug
;options = DONT_INSERT_EMPTY_FRAGMENTS

; Authentication stuff
;verify = 2
; Don't forget to c_rehash CApath
;CApath = certs
; It's often easier to use CAfile
;CAfile = certs.pem
; Don't forget to c_rehash CRLpath
;CRLpath = crls
; Alternatively you can use CRLfile
;CRLfile = crls.pem

; Some debugging stuff useful for troubleshooting
debug = 7
output = stunnel.log

; Use it for client mode
;client = yes

; Service-level configuration

[https]
accept  = 443
connect = 80
TIMEOUTclose = 0

Do not forget to update the connect= value in the above file if your site is not using port 80.

ccs wrote:
If the answer to (a) is no, then please let me know now so I can get another web server up and running without wasting more time on Abyss. If its Yes, can you give me any sort of time frame.

If you want to receive Beta (or even Alpha) releases of the SSL enabled version when they will be made available, please let us know.
cmxflash
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: AAARRRGGGGGGG Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
ccs wrote:

We have never provided an ETA for an SSL version nor promised to any customer that there will be such a version by a specific date. We are working on the SSL version and we will release it when we'll feel it is 100% ready and tested (we will never release half finished products).

True, but you mentioned in this post that it will be avaliable in the "future version aimed for the professional market". As far as I know, X2 is the "professional edition" of Abyss.

aprelium wrote:
Dainbramaged05 wrote:
Does Abyss support SSL Certs such as Thawte or Verisign?

The current version of Abyss Web Server doesn't support SSL. That support will be added in a future version aimed for the professional market.

Quote:
If you want to receive Beta (or even Alpha) releases of the SSL enabled version when they will be made available, please let us know.

Would be nice to try out :)

Last edited by cmxflash on Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but they never mentioned when it will be in the Professional version.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: AAARRRGGGGGGG Reply with quote

cmxflash wrote:
True, but you mentioned in this post that it will be avaliable in the "future version aimed for the professional market". As far as I know, X2 is the "professional edition" of Abyss.

This is not in contradiction with the current situation as we never said in 2003 that the first version of the professional edition we will release will feature SSL.

It is also clear from X2 descriptions on our web site that there is no SSL support. And there is also no official SSL availibility/ETA statement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Powered by Abyss All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: