Aliases Not Working

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwiebe
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:35 am    Post subject: Aliases Not Working Reply with quote

I was wondering about using aliases to manage 403s and 404s (I have directory indexing turned off). So I thought I'd use aliases to steer nonexistent URLs someplace useful. (I read in this forum that custom errors are not yet available)

Anyway, I couldn't get aliases to work at all. I tried relative real and it didn't work, so I thought maybe I wasn't understanding the documentation (which I DID read). So I tried absolute real - which doesn't seem like it's open to interpretation. It should just work: virtual path maps to real path.

Only it didn't. I get the server to accept my paths, but when I use a browser to send the server the virtual path, the server responds with 400.

Anyone have aliases working? How'd you do it? :(
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Aliases Not Working Reply with quote

kwiebe wrote:
I was wondering about using aliases to manage 403s and 404s (I have directory indexing turned off). So I thought I'd use aliases to steer nonexistent URLs someplace useful. (I read in this forum that custom errors are not yet available)

Anyway, I couldn't get aliases to work at all. I tried relative real and it didn't work, so I thought maybe I wasn't understanding the documentation (which I DID read). So I tried absolute real - which doesn't seem like it's open to interpretation. It should just work: virtual path maps to real path.

Only it didn't. I get the server to accept my paths, but when I use a browser to send the server the virtual path, the server responds with 400.

Take the example of the cgi-bin alias (installed by default). The virtual path is /cgi-bin and the real one is cgi-bin (because it is relative to the root path).
If you want for example to have an alias to an absolute directory, the virtual path can be /images and the real one c:\images.
By the way, mapping the errors with aliases doesn't work.
kwiebe
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Aliases Not Working Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
kwiebe wrote:

Take the example of the cgi-bin alias (installed by default). The virtual path is /cgi-bin and the real one is cgi-bin (because it is relative to the root path).
If you want for example to have an alias to an absolute directory, the virtual path can be /images and the real one c:\images.
By the way, mapping the errors with aliases doesn't work.

I tried an absolute mapping -- didn't work for some reason. I mapped virtual path /xyz to c:\web. In c:\web I have an index.htm file. Shouldn't my browser have displayed that file when I used www.mydomain.com/xyz as the URL? I got error 400.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Aliases Not Working Reply with quote

kwiebe wrote:

I tried an absolute mapping -- didn't work for some reason. I mapped virtual path /xyz to c:\web. In c:\web I have an index.htm file. Shouldn't my browser have displayed that file when I used www.mydomain.com/xyz as the URL? I got error 400.

It should work (we just tested the same situation as yours and we had no trouble).
Please send your configuration file abyss.conf to our support suuport@aprelium.com . The guys there will help you tracking the problem.

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: