Windows or Linux for server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arbiter
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Windows or Linux for server Reply with quote

Hello, new to these forums and very excited about using Abyss.

I want to set up my own server for testing/learning how to maintain our websites. I'm planning on purchasing a new system for this and connecting it to a free-standing DSL or FIOS connection.

Frankly, I'm more comfortable with using the Windows version of Abyss than the Linux version. But my understanding is that our websites run on a Linux-based hosting service. They're written in HTML and PHP and do use a MYSQL database for inventory and a shopping cart.

So my question is since the sites themselves are hosted on a Linux-based server, does it make a difference if I run them and work on them on a Windows version of Abyss? Or should I keep everything "apples and apples" and use Linux-based?

I know the hosting service runs Apache server so already the server won't be the same. But from reading here it does seem to me I'd have a lot easier time learning to set up a test server if I used Abyss.

Suggestions?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows or Linux for server Reply with quote

Arbiter,

If you're going to use PHP and MySQL, there should virtually be no difference between Windows and Linux for your scripts. So we suggest using the system that you're most comfortable with (Windows according to our understanding).

If you plan to move to Linux in the future, you should know that the Windows and the Linux versions of Abyss Web Server are very similar so there is not a lot of extra-learning to perform (but Linux is different from Windows so the learning process must usually target the difference between the two operating systems and not our Web server).

We have several of our customers and users who started years ago with Windows and made the transition later to Linux. Most of them kept Abyss Web Server as their Web server because of the ease of the move.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: