Please Vote: Community Intelligence
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many servers have you gone though before stopping at Abyss?
It is my primary server - Abyss is my first attempt at serving
37%
 37%  [ 209 ]
It is my primary server - I've gone through a few others (Apache, Xitami, etc)
43%
 43%  [ 240 ]
It is my primary tinker toy - I am new and am just tinkering with it
12%
 12%  [ 72 ]
It is *not* my primary server - I use another (Apache, Xitami, etc)
5%
 5%  [ 28 ]
It is *not* my primary server and I need another server
0%
 0%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 554

vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Please Vote: Community Intelligence Reply with quote

Overall I would like to know where the majority of this community stands when it boils down to working with a web server. Your identity will not be revealed and it'll only take a few seconds to vote. Please Participate :)
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: I made my vote... Reply with quote

Anyone know what my vote is? :)
Kent.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOT PHP?

http://16.sytes.net/php-clone
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: I ended up doing a full circle Reply with quote

I didn't know a thing about serving webpages, servers, etc a few weeks ago but looked into it after looking at DynDNS... Anyway I didn't have a clue what to do with DynDNS and when I asked, someone referred Abyss... It was my first crack at serving and I thought I take a look at a few others... Abyss won my heart hands down in comparison...

Its really good, I really like it :)
kip2001
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first tried using apache, but it was a pain and I couldn't get it running so someone told me about abyss, and now my site is up and running with PHP, Perl, ASP, and mysql :)
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Abyss, Xitami, Apache, Servers, Server Reply with quote

I tried Apache, Xitami and a few others but like I said I did a full circle and enjoy very much the fact that I did... The instructions for setting up Abyss to use active languages such as PHP, PERL, ASP was a breeze not to mention MySQL... I rank Abyss to be the easiest to use and eagerly look forward to the next version :)

Be good, have fun and good luck :)
thedane
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, at the office i work with apache on FreeBSD OS .. and i wanted to develop some stuff at home aswell, so I installed FreeBSD along with Apache aswell .. but I kinda missed some of the neat Windows features, so now I got a multi OS system .. Windows XP with Abyss and FreeBSD with Apache.

I'm using the Windows partition more often, but FreeBSD is the primary :)
Installing the latest Apache onto Windows XP gave me some problems, so I'm happy to have found an alternative here 8)
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know so far the votes are telling... Abyss seems to be sticky... Though it might not be the first choice it seems to certainly hold onto you once you try it...

Thank you all for your votes and participation :)
tv2Rob
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tired of the web hosting scene as a whole...(no pun intended)
Their slow response time, their rudeness etc..
when I got my first broadband connection (640k upstream)
I thought...why not! I was a little concerned at first
since I use .pl scripts quite a bit, that I might have to
reconfigure my web site entirely...(or install Linux on my machine.) fortunately most of my scripts ran fine on Abyss, some needed a little bit of tinkering but nonetheless, since then
it's been a great learning experience and I have no regrets at all.
and I certainly have no intention on ever going back to web hosting companies... Free at last! :wink:
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
enko
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: web server Reply with quote

Tried my web server but didnt like the interface
rtp3
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

The very first internet I had was a cable connection...had it ever since...so of course I try to host a website on it...doesn't work. I go to webhosters (free of course); geoshitties, others, angelfire, tripod, simplehost, etc. they turn to crap (except for simplehost)...so I search for webservers...
I've tried Apache, Xitami, and others, but none seemed to work...
So I'm searching download.com for personal web servers and I come across Abyss...I install it, and it actually works! First try! Incredibly easy to configure, and I don't even have to give out my ip with a sitelutions.com subdomain... (although as of late my console gives me a 500 error when i open the console :( :? ) btw, I downloaded a file from myself (sound funny?) and it ran at over 600k (a bit slow, but of course there's the factors of CPU, memory, downloading fromserver-toserver is dumb, tradeoff of bandwidth)...downloaded the same file from an internet cafe and it downloaded at over 800k...impressive by my standards...

Abyss works perfectly (except for that damn 500 error with the console I get now) on Windows XP with a FAT32 disk...
Now if only I could get Perl/CGI to work properly...
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find a guide to how to install php/perl/asp at this link http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/index.html... I do agree, Abyss is the easiest on the market so far and is indeed very simple. Good luck :)
smok3
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actualy the very 1st web server i installed was a small (~1k) arexx script running on amiga with miami tcp stack and it did work just fine, i think there was even a way to use cgi of some sort. (similar solutions still exist, check http://carls.1av10.nu/w3s/ if you are interested, it is open-source and also a bit more complex i guess - around 20k, lmao.)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
s1asher
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abyss is the best so far in my opinion though, so thats why this one has stayed :)
pagekeeper
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: My view Reply with quote

This is my 2nd day and im getting grips with it really fast the easyness of Abyss. I installed Apache and found it was soo hard to configure so i'm going to stick with Abyss till i get used to hosting and learn before i use harder programs like apache!

:D
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Apache and loved it but Abyss is lightweight and just as fast if not faster. To be honest though, it was a tough decision between Abyss and Xitami because Xitami is also lightweight and has built-in FTP (but I use BulletProof FTP so it don't matter). However, I am confident that the next major release of Abyss will also offer built-in FTP and maybe SMTP too! 8)
jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:roll: or perhaps just have them optional as modules..

-Jon-
yalrighty
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume that you would be able to turn these functions on and off lol. 8)
WeaponsX
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why in the heck is the topic a sticky?
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Abyss is idiot friendly Reply with quote

I,ve been using abyss for about 3 weeks and its my primary server as i have not installed or tried any others i have looked at apache as i would like to host others sites.

and also i would like to have some way of allowing users to create email addresses e.g user@mydomain.org

i know this is not a request forum

but i would like to say is there a new version of abyss web server coming soon with a better control panel.
and more features

frontpage extentions are not working ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tv2Rob wrote:
I got tired of the web hosting scene as a whole...(no pun intended)
Their slow response time, their rudeness etc..
when I got my first broadband connection (640k upstream)
I thought...why not! I was a little concerned at first
since I use .pl scripts quite a bit, that I might have to
reconfigure my web site entirely...(or install Linux on my machine.) fortunately most of my scripts ran fine on Abyss, some needed a little bit of tinkering but nonetheless, since then
it's been a great learning experience and I have no regrets at all.
and I certainly have no intention on ever going back to web hosting companies... Free at last! :wink:

yeah dude, i completely agree. i used to use 1dollarhosting.com, but they were useless. and not to mention the downtime, website went down at least once a month! what is that?! i dont know how you can be a hosting company w/ that kind of a ratio...

abyss is the way to go (i will bet you money that you will feel the same way i do after trying to configure apache)

however, isnt the web console sort of a vulnerability. anyone can crack the password and take down your website...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and in response to you, crazy, if you want people to be able to have you@yourdomain.com you will need to do the following:

1. (obviously) get a domain name - use 000domains.com: 13.50 per year with web forwarding and anything else you need.
2. get some dns servers - i will recommend "zone edit (www.zoneedit.com)" until the day i die. they forward up to 5 domains to ips for free. the best part is, it acts like a real dns, so you can use the domain like your own.
3. get an email server. i am still testing it, but you can try "602 lan suite" at www.602software.com (i think)
4. then configure the email server to do webmail
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
stitch
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: A+ for Abyss Reply with quote

Its not just the server... Its the support!
I have found these forums to be super informative and ppl (esp Anonymoose :wink: ) to be extremely helpful... and very patient...
I sure have learned a lot!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ajk
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Victor,

I've been running Abyss for a while now. I have to say the support is excellent.
On my work station I've tried Socket and three or four other programs including Xitami.

Abyss has been the most trouble free and best supported so far.

BTW, your tutorials make it a snap to install for the newbies out there. :-)

My main servers runs Apache. That's because FreeBSD and Linux are packaged with it.
If I knew about Abyss back when I started my own servers,
I'd probably have installed the Abyss version for UNIX/Linux.
I learned Apache because it came with the distros.

Now I run my website http://www.drumsmith.com on a public webserver.
I had to do that because I needed more bandwidth than I have at home.

If I was able to change servers, I'd use Abyss there too.
My host is running Red hat and Apache.

Thanks for doing a GREAT job!
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abyss is smoking never used anything easier!

xerver is ok too! 8)

mawuahahaha :)
Slurm
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've went through a few servers trying to find what I want.

I'm designing a remote IDS frontend similar to the one used by 'Cruncbox' and the small size of Abyss combined with it's easy management makes it a great development tool.

Perfect!
greywolf
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Abyss Reply with quote

Ive played with just about everything there is. besides being easy to install and configure. the Aprelium team puts step by step instructions in these forums. I installed MYSQL, PHP, PHPBB and other things within 30 minutes. I can display what I want and not what many ISPS and webhosting companys says you have to have, PLUS I just copy the the abyss folder a couple of ini files and If I go ***POOF*** I can be up and running in minutes after a full install.
So why not Abyss? My page with all the abyss files isnt over 5 megs and easy to backup and restore. Besides, MY ISP is stumped on how I am doing all this without NT, Linux, Apache and Freebsd and NOT having problems
cerq
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Many had tryed but only one works Reply with quote

I've have tried over 11 of the free or so what free server software that you can download from download.com( which I spend far to much time on)
and this is by far the best FREE server package that I've found.
Hats off to the fokes at Abyss they are the best.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Fex
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its my Primary & First Server and I love it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have no complaints against abyss. And this is my first try at hosting.

http://unreal04.no-ip.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
beerslayer
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to explain my vote (hey, that rhymes!):

I had to reluctantly respond "not my primary and I need another" to this poll, even though I'd use Abyss as my primary if I could.

The problem is that I can't host my site on my own machine, and I don't have any control over which server my remote hosting company is using. I think they're using Apache on a Linux server, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately, in my mind, that qualifies as my primary server, rather than Abyss, and I need it, with whatever they're running.

I'm sure they could switch to Abyss on their machines and my site wouldn't suffer in the slightest. In that case, I'd be happy to call Abyss my primary server. Until then, I love the fact that I can start up Abyss on my personal machine (and it doesn't take three minutes to load and configure itself), test out all my CGI and other scripts without ever having to dial up my ISP, and then upload the tested scripts secure in the knowledge that they will work properly (maybe with minor tweaks).

For the record, I think Abyss is one rockin' product. I've recommended it to several friends who use it for much the same purpose I do. Installation and configuration were a breeze, the program works as advertised, and it has been rock solid in everything I've ever asked it to do (I cannot attribute a single crash to Abyss, which is not something I say lightly). I can't believe I ever seriously considered installing Apache on this machine for testing purposes... thank goodness I found Abyss!
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: web server Reply with quote

enko wrote:
Tried my web server but didnt like the interface

You judgment on how good the software is was based the look of the server console? What planet are you from BTW?
WhirlpoolSpecialist
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive beeen trying to get a server running at home to run on a lan. A little research led me to Abyss and 10 mintues after downloading the software I had the server running, seems good enough to me. A problem that I have has been posted as Music Player, any help greatly appreciated.
ICY-ME
-

Location: Ya know, I'm actually not sure. Location, now that's a great word, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone guess what mine is???

it's that i've gone through apache, decided it sucked, went to www.jagjohn2000.com one night, and saw that his music collection was running off his pc, off abyss, and have used abyss ever since!
kaneZim
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for the main lawyer firm in zmbabwe (Honey & Blanckenberg) and have been assigned the tast of setting up an LAN accounts system.

I tried using apache but decided it was way too powerfull for our needs and started searching for an alternative. I came accross this at download.com and installed PHP it works like a charm and I have had no downtime due to software problems.

A robust server with minimal stress easily comparible to APACHE

Keep up the great work!!!

Robert Hyde
IT Manager
Honey & Blanckenberg
ericzollman
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a webserver over my Cable connection. It's my first serious attempt at running a live site. I have tinkered with a BUNCH of free servers but I never really tried to put up a full time site untill I found Abyss.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
techman21
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I choose the primary as a tinker. I have been using Abyss for almost a good 3 weeks now. Although I have dabbeld with it in the past. I have also used Sambar, which is decent but has a learning curve.

Abyss is probably the easiest webserver to get up and going without having to mess with too much. Yet it allows you to run a multitude of scripts and the like to spruce up your site. The ease of use for the price (FREE!) is bar none. People say Apache is great, but if your a home user what do you need Apache for other than for learning purposes? Not to mention Apache has a steep learning curve if you have never run a webserver.

Nope I'll stick with Abyss! I may learn Apache for a job, but I'll run Abyss at home thanks! 8)
redlion
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I switched from cable with a dynamic IP adress to ADSL with a static IPA, and an ISP which explicitly allows servers, I decided to look around for server software. I tried the webserv Windows server from sourceforge.net, it's a really powerful Apache server but proved too hard for me to handle. Abyss proved to be easier to install and configure, and as for the help available on the forums, TRUSTpunk alone is more helpful than a forum full of sourceforge users!

I must say, however, I've given up on installing the AWStats application; I can't seem to get it configured correctly. I downloaded WebLog Expert Lite ... it works right out of the box, just needed to be pointed at the Abysslog file.

So far, it's been a whole lot of fun. Thanks, Aprelium, if I ever am asked for a webserver recommendation for Windows I will certainly plug your product!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jabi
-

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I depend on Abyss for development only (on localhost.) I do not serve any content to the world from these boxes. Websites are all hosted externally thru a hosting company (currently using both hostcentric and pair).

Needed a solution that would enable me to develop and test php/mysql applications locally. Prior to discovering Abyss, I used Windows Servers 2000, NT, and Apache. None of them were able to provide the combination of stability, ease of configuration, low use of system resources and performance that I've found with Abyss.

It was originally needed on a minimal Windows ME laptop. Abyss performed so well, that I now have it on all my Windows machines.
p3
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I've used a server, and it is quite easy. I'm just at the tinkering stage, though. The help files help significantly.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Xitami and Abyss Reply with quote

My requirements for a webserver daemon:
1. Very light and resource friendly
2. Reliable
3. Easy to setup, manage and maintain
4. Cool features, extensibility and a little hackability/flexibility/configurability
5. Cost

Xitami and Abyss sure and easily fits under my requirements. Did Abyss at one time run as an open-source project? I don't know but I only learned about Abyss mid-last year. It was a serious contender against my Xitami (in the office LAN on my personal PC hosting juicy stuff for the quirky staff and at my home network) since Xitami has not been updated for a pretty long time now. What's more, Xitami crashes, although not that frequently. I had it set to gracefully recover but this does not always work. It really needs some updating. I have now ported (transferred, if you will) most of my webserver implementations from Xitami to Abyss - only one is left.

There are lots of features I miss from Xitami. It has better custom directory listings and has a huge array of variables at your disposal like parent URLs, line counts, and running byte counts. It served pages faster too and had a more complete set of PHP CGI environment variables according to my unbiased observations and tests. I hope future Abyss webserver implementations would adopt this and even go beyond. Abyss kicks ass, though, in simplicity management - and I really like the very intuitive user interface for the web-based console. I'm wishing that Abyss implements a filemanager feature too, hehehe, virtually killing off the need for remote FTP.

Aprelium did a good job at naming their webserver Abyss. It sure got listed on top of alphabetically sorted software download lists! Nice and cunning move!

Here's toasting the Aprelium Development Team. :drink: May Abyss remain free always as it enjoys HUGE success!

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Xitami and Abyss Reply with quote

First of all, thank you for your positive comments.

loloyd wrote:
There are lots of features I miss from Xitami. It has better custom directory listings and has a huge array of variables at your disposal like parent URLs, line counts, and running byte counts. It served pages faster too and had a more complete set of PHP CGI environment variables according to my unbiased observations and tests. I hope future Abyss webserver implementations would adopt this and even go beyond. Abyss kicks ass, though, in simplicity management - and I really like the very intuitive user interface for the web-based console. I'm wishing that Abyss implements a filemanager feature too, hehehe, virtually killing off the need for remote FTP.

Directory listing is highly customizable (you can use SSI templates or even a directory listing script where you can do almost anything you want to produce the listing you want). But we will probably need to explain more (with real examples) how to program them.

Regarding the CGI variables, is it possible to let us know what are the ones that are missing?

Quote:
Aprelium did a good job at naming their webserver Abyss. It sure got listed on top of alphabetically sorted software download lists! Nice and cunning move!

The name "Abyss" was picked as a project code name when it was open source. The name remained and has not been changed since. The fact that it ranks the software the first in listing is a great side effect for that fortuitous name choice.

Quote:
Here's toasting the Aprelium Development Team. :drink: May Abyss remain free always as it enjoys HUGE success!

There will be always a free edition of Abyss Web Server and it will be always updated.
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: CGI... er... PHP variables... Reply with quote

From Aprelium:
Quote:
Regarding the CGI variables, is it possible to let us know what are the ones that are missing?

I only used phpinfo() to generate this. I also have some other sins: I generated the Xitami phpinfo() on PHP 5.0.3 with Windows XPSP1 while Abyss phpinfo() on PHP 5.0.4 with Windows XPSP2. Given an apparent Abyss's advantage already, a different tale can be seen below.

Shown here, Abyss 2.0.6 is pitted against Xitami 2.5c2.

Here are quick stats:
Category 1. Number of environment variables
Abyss score - 60
Xitami score - 64
Category 2. Number of PHP variables
Abyss score - 127
Xitami score - 133

Abyss has admittedly more USEFUL, SENSIBLE and MEANINGFUL envars. I was surprised not to find HTTP_REFERER in Xitami! Wha--?

You might say that some of the variables mentioned below are meaningless but Xitami offers a feature where we can add custom cgi-variables for whatever purposes. I haven't used this section though.

From Xitami Documentation:
Quote:
The {Cgi-Environment} Section

This section lets you define specific CGI environment variables. Each definition is taken literally and passed to the CGI program. This can be useful when using virtual hosts.

Summary of Environment Vars Test:
Code:
Abyss Environment                        Xitami Environment
ALL_HTTP                              1  ALLUSERSPROFILE
ALL_RAW                               2  APPDATA
APPL_MD_PATH                          3  CGI_ROOT
APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH                    4  CGI_URL
AUTH_TYPE                             5  COMMONPROGRAMFILES
AUTH_USER                             6  COMPUTERNAME
COMSPEC                               7  COMSPEC
CONTENT_LENGTH                        8  CONTENT_LENGTH
COOKIE                                9  CONTENT_TYPE
DOCUMENT_ROOT                        10  DOCUMENT_ROOT
GATEWAY_INTERFACE                    11  FP_NO_HOST_CHECK
HTTP_ACCEPT                          12  GATEWAY_INTERFACE
HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET                  13  HOMEDRIVE
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING                 14  HOMEPATH
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE                 15  HTTP_ACCEPT
HTTP_AUTHORIZATION                   16  HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET
HTTP_CONNECTION                      17  HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING
HTTP_COOKIE                          18  HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE
HTTP_HOST                            19  HTTP_CONNECTION
HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE                      20  HTTP_CONTENT_LENGTH
HTTP_REFERER                         21  HTTP_COOKIE
HTTP_USER_AGENT                      22  HTTP_HOST
INSTANCE_ID                          23  HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE
ORIG_PATH_INFO                       24  HTTP_USER_AGENT
ORIG_PATH_TRANSLATED                 25  LOGONSERVER
ORIG_SCRIPT_FILENAME                 26  NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS
ORIG_SCRIPT_NAME                     27  ORIG_PATH_INFO
PATH                                 28  ORIG_PATH_TRANSLATED
PATHEXT                              29  ORIG_SCRIPT_NAME
REDIRECT_STATUS                      30  OS
REMOTE_ADDR                          31  PATH
REMOTE_PORT                          32  PATHEXT
REQUEST_METHOD                       33  PHPRC
REQUEST_URI                          34  PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE
SCRIPT_FILENAME                      35  PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER
SCRIPT_NAME                          36  PROCESSOR_LEVEL
SERVER_NAME                          37  PROCESSOR_REVISION
SERVER_PORT                          38  PROGRAMFILES
SERVER_PROTOCOL                      39  QUERY_METHOD
SERVER_SOFTWARE                      40  REMOTE_ADDR
SystemRoot                           41  REMOTE_HOST
TEMP                                 42  REMOTE_USER
URL                                  43  REQUEST_METHOD
WINDIR                               44  SCRIPT_FILENAME
X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_CURRENT_UPTIME    45  SCRIPT_NAME
X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_ERROR             46  SCRIPT_PATH
X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_HTML              47  SERVER_HTTP_PORT
X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_IMAGE             48  SERVER_HTTPS_PORT
X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_NOTMODIFIED       49  SERVER_NAME
X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_OUTPUT            50  SERVER_PORT
X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_TOTAL             51  SERVER_PROTOCOL
X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_UPTIME            52  SERVER_SECURITY
X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_CURRENT_UPTIME  53  SERVER_SOFTWARE
X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_ERROR           54  SERVER_URL
X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_HTML            55  SERVER_VERSION
X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_IMAGE           56  SESSIONNAME
X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_NOTMODIFIED     57  SYSTEMDRIVE
X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_OUTPUT          58  SYSTEMROOT
X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_TOTAL           59  TEMP
X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_UPTIME          60  TMP
                                     61  USERDOMAIN
                                     62  USERNAME
                                     63  USERPROFILE
                                     64  WINDIR

Summary of PHP Vars Test:
Code:
Abyss PHP Variables                                 Xitami PHP Variables

_COOKIE["PHPSESSID"]                             1  _COOKIE["PHPSESSID"]
_ENV["ALL_HTTP"]                                 2  _ENV["ALLUSERSPROFILE"]
_ENV["ALL_RAW"]                                  3  _ENV["APPDATA"]
_ENV["APPL_MD_PATH"]                             4  _ENV["CGI_ROOT"]
_ENV["APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH"]                       5  _ENV["CGI_URL"]
_ENV["AUTH_TYPE"]                                6  _ENV["COMMONPROGRAMFILES"]
_ENV["AUTH_USER"]                                7  _ENV["COMPUTERNAME"]
_ENV["COMSPEC"]                                  8  _ENV["COMSPEC"]
_ENV["CONTENT_LENGTH"]                           9  _ENV["CONTENT_LENGTH"]
_ENV["COOKIE"]                                  10  _ENV["CONTENT_TYPE"]
_ENV["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]                           11  _ENV["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]
_ENV["GATEWAY_INTERFACE"]                       12  _ENV["FP_NO_HOST_CHECK"]
_ENV["HTTP_ACCEPT"]                             13  _ENV["GATEWAY_INTERFACE"]
_ENV["HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET"]                     14  _ENV["HOMEDRIVE"]
_ENV["HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING"]                    15  _ENV["HOMEPATH"]
_ENV["HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE"]                    16  _ENV["HTTP_ACCEPT"]
_ENV["HTTP_AUTHORIZATION"]                      17  _ENV["HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET"]
_ENV["HTTP_CONNECTION"]                         18  _ENV["HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING"]
_ENV["HTTP_COOKIE"]                             19  _ENV["HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE"]
_ENV["HTTP_HOST"]                               20  _ENV["HTTP_CONNECTION"]
_ENV["HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE"]                         21  _ENV["HTTP_CONTENT_LENGTH"]
_ENV["HTTP_REFERER"]                            22  _ENV["HTTP_COOKIE"]
_ENV["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]                         23  _ENV["HTTP_HOST"]
_ENV["INSTANCE_ID"]                             24  _ENV["HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE"]
_ENV["ORIG_PATH_INFO"]                          25  _ENV["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]
_ENV["ORIG_PATH_TRANSLATED"]                    26  _ENV["LOGONSERVER"]
_ENV["ORIG_SCRIPT_FILENAME"]                    27  _ENV["NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS"]
_ENV["ORIG_SCRIPT_NAME"]                        28  _ENV["ORIG_PATH_INFO"]
_ENV["PATH"]                                    29  _ENV["ORIG_PATH_TRANSLATED"]
_ENV["PATHEXT"]                                 30  _ENV["ORIG_SCRIPT_NAME"]
_ENV["REDIRECT_STATUS"]                         31  _ENV["OS"]
_ENV["REMOTE_ADDR"]                             32  _ENV["PATH"]
_ENV["REMOTE_PORT"]                             33  _ENV["PATHEXT"]
_ENV["REQUEST_METHOD"]                          34  _ENV["PHPRC"]
_ENV["REQUEST_URI"]                             35  _ENV["PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE"]
_ENV["SCRIPT_FILENAME"]                         36  _ENV["PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER"]
_ENV["SCRIPT_NAME"]                             37  _ENV["PROCESSOR_LEVEL"]
_ENV["SERVER_NAME"]                             38  _ENV["PROCESSOR_REVISION"]
_ENV["SERVER_PORT"]                             39  _ENV["PROGRAMFILES"]
_ENV["SERVER_PROTOCOL"]                         40  _ENV["QUERY_METHOD"]
_ENV["SERVER_SOFTWARE"]                         41  _ENV["REMOTE_ADDR"]
_ENV["SystemRoot"]                              42  _ENV["REMOTE_HOST"]
_ENV["TEMP"]                                    43  _ENV["REMOTE_USER"]
_ENV["URL"]                                     44  _ENV["REQUEST_METHOD"]
_ENV["WINDIR"]                                  45  _ENV["SCRIPT_FILENAME"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_CURRENT_UPTIME"]       46  _ENV["SCRIPT_NAME"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_ERROR"]                47  _ENV["SCRIPT_PATH"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_HTML"]                 48  _ENV["SERVER_HTTP_PORT"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_IMAGE"]                49  _ENV["SERVER_HTTPS_PORT"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_NOTMODIFIED"]          50  _ENV["SERVER_NAME"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_OUTPUT"]               51  _ENV["SERVER_PORT"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_TOTAL"]                52  _ENV["SERVER_PROTOCOL"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_UPTIME"]               53  _ENV["SERVER_SECURITY"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_CURRENT_UPTIME"]     54  _ENV["SERVER_SOFTWARE"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_ERROR"]              55  _ENV["SERVER_URL"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_HTML"]               56  _ENV["SERVER_VERSION"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_IMAGE"]              57  _ENV["SESSIONNAME"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_NOTMODIFIED"]        58  _ENV["SYSTEMDRIVE"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_OUTPUT"]             59  _ENV["SYSTEMROOT"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_TOTAL"]              60  _ENV["TEMP"]
_ENV["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_UPTIME"]             61  _ENV["TMP"]
_REQUEST["PHPSESSID"]                           62  _ENV["USERDOMAIN"]
_SERVER["ALL_HTTP"]                             63  _ENV["USERNAME"]
_SERVER["ALL_RAW"]                              64  _ENV["USERPROFILE"]
_SERVER["APPL_MD_PATH"]                         65  _ENV["WINDIR"]
_SERVER["APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH"]                   66  _REQUEST["PHPSESSID"]
_SERVER["argc"]                                 67  _SERVER["ALLUSERSPROFILE"]
_SERVER["argv"]                                 68  _SERVER["APPDATA"]
_SERVER["AUTH_TYPE"]                            69  _SERVER["argc"]
_SERVER["AUTH_USER"]                            70  _SERVER["argv"]
_SERVER["COMSPEC"]                              71  _SERVER["CGI_ROOT"]
_SERVER["CONTENT_LENGTH"]                       72  _SERVER["CGI_URL"]
_SERVER["COOKIE"]                               73  _SERVER["COMMONPROGRAMFILES"]
_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]                        74  _SERVER["COMPUTERNAME"]
_SERVER["GATEWAY_INTERFACE"]                    75  _SERVER["COMSPEC"]
_SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT"]                          76  _SERVER["CONTENT_LENGTH"]
_SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET"]                  77  _SERVER["CONTENT_TYPE"]
_SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING"]                 78  _SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]
_SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE"]                 79  _SERVER["FP_NO_HOST_CHECK"]
_SERVER["HTTP_AUTHORIZATION"]                   80  _SERVER["GATEWAY_INTERFACE"]
_SERVER["HTTP_CONNECTION"]                      81  _SERVER["HOMEDRIVE"]
_SERVER["HTTP_COOKIE"]                          82  _SERVER["HOMEPATH"]
_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]                            83  _SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT"]
_SERVER["HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE"]                      84  _SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET"]
_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"]                         85  _SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING"]
_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]                      86  _SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE"]
_SERVER["INSTANCE_ID"]                          87  _SERVER["HTTP_CONNECTION"]
_SERVER["ORIG_PATH_INFO"]                       88  _SERVER["HTTP_CONTENT_LENGTH"]
_SERVER["ORIG_PATH_TRANSLATED"]                 89  _SERVER["HTTP_COOKIE"]
_SERVER["ORIG_SCRIPT_FILENAME"]                 90  _SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]
_SERVER["ORIG_SCRIPT_NAME"]                     91  _SERVER["HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE"]
_SERVER["PATH"]                                 92  _SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]
_SERVER["PATHEXT"]                              93  _SERVER["LOGONSERVER"]
_SERVER["PHP_AUTH_PW"]                          94  _SERVER["NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS"]
_SERVER["PHP_AUTH_USER"]                        95  _SERVER["ORIG_PATH_INFO"]
_SERVER["PHP_SELF"]                             96  _SERVER["ORIG_PATH_TRANSLATED"]
_SERVER["REDIRECT_STATUS"]                      97  _SERVER["ORIG_SCRIPT_NAME"]
_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]                          98  _SERVER["OS"]
_SERVER["REMOTE_PORT"]                          99  _SERVER["PATH"]
_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"]                      100  _SERVER["PATHEXT"]
_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"]                         101  _SERVER["PHP_SELF"]
_SERVER["SCRIPT_FILENAME"]                     102  _SERVER["PHPRC"]
_SERVER["SCRIPT_NAME"]                         103  _SERVER["PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE"]
_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"]                         104  _SERVER["PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER"]
_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"]                         105  _SERVER["PROCESSOR_LEVEL"]
_SERVER["SERVER_PROTOCOL"]                     106  _SERVER["PROCESSOR_REVISION"]
_SERVER["SERVER_SOFTWARE"]                     107  _SERVER["PROGRAMFILES"]
_SERVER["SystemRoot"]                          108  _SERVER["QUERY_METHOD"]
_SERVER["TEMP"]                                109  _SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]
_SERVER["URL"]                                 110  _SERVER["REMOTE_HOST"]
_SERVER["WINDIR"]                              111  _SERVER["REMOTE_USER"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_CURRENT_UPTIME"]   112  _SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_ERROR"]            113  _SERVER["SCRIPT_FILENAME"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_HTML"]             114  _SERVER["SCRIPT_NAME"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_IMAGE"]            115  _SERVER["SCRIPT_PATH"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_NOTMODIFIED"]      116  _SERVER["SERVER_HTTP_PORT"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_OUTPUT"]           117  _SERVER["SERVER_HTTPS_PORT"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_TOTAL"]            118  _SERVER["SERVER_NAME"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_HOST_UPTIME"]           119  _SERVER["SERVER_PORT"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_CURRENT_UPTIME"] 120  _SERVER["SERVER_PROTOCOL"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_ERROR"]          121  _SERVER["SERVER_SECURITY"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_HTML"]           122  _SERVER["SERVER_SOFTWARE"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_IMAGE"]          123  _SERVER["SERVER_URL"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_NOTMODIFIED"]    124  _SERVER["SERVER_VERSION"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_OUTPUT"]         125  _SERVER["SESSIONNAME"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_TOTAL"]          126  _SERVER["SYSTEMDRIVE"]
_SERVER["X_ABYSS_STATS_SERVER_UPTIME"]         127  _SERVER["SYSTEMROOT"]
                                               128  _SERVER["TEMP"]
                                               129  _SERVER["TMP"]
                                               130  _SERVER["USERDOMAIN"]
                                               131  _SERVER["USERNAME"]
                                               132  _SERVER["USERPROFILE"]
                                               133  _SERVER["WINDIR"]

aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: CGI... er... PHP variables... Reply with quote

loloyd,

Thank you for your post.

Xitami seems to pass all the environment variables available to Windows applications (type set in a Windows command line and you'll get almost the same list). At the contrary, Abyss only passes the required ones (COMSPEC, SystemRoot, TEMP, WINDIR, PATH, PATHEXT). The rest of the environment variables are informative and are not useful in the CGI context.

But as you can see Abyss Web Server passes to CGI programs more CGI variables (the ones that are important for our job). Most of these variables are defined in the CGI specification. Some of them were introduced by other web servers and became a de facto standard (such as URL, ALL_HTTP). Some are extensions specific to Abyss Web Server (prefixed by X_).

Regarding passing custom CGI variables, this is also possible in Abyss Web Server. All you have to do is to add the variable in Console > Hosts - Configure > Scripting Parameters > Custom Environment Variables (the table where you have added REDIRECT_STATUS).
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CGI... er... PHP variables... Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
Regarding passing custom CGI variables, this is also possible in Abyss Web Server. All you have to do is to add the variable in Console > Hosts - Configure > Scripting Parameters > Custom Environment Variables (the table where you have added REDIRECT_STATUS).

hahaha you're right. stupid me for not fully rtfm. my apologies :-D i just realized also that the extra envars that abyss passes are the sensibler and really more useful ones. i still can't believe there's no REFERER in Xitami. Duh?

TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HTTP_REFERER is only shown when you browse to the phpinfo.php from
another page's link. Xitami is a very buggy server, just don't use it. I've went
from Xitami to Abyss Web Server, I made the right choice.

Sincerely, TRUSTpunk
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Buggy? Reply with quote

I've used Xitami for more than 2 or maybe 3 years, although in an internal office setting. It wasn't buggy, albeit when I tried it in an open environment, it apparently showed major security weaknesses - it frequently crashed probably due to server attacks or at least attempts thereof.

Abyss hasn't broke down so far (yet) since I started really using it the beginning of this year. I had it running on an alternate port in my office machine since last year but it is/was rarely accessed. In an exposed and hostile environment, Abyss wins far over Xitami hands-down in security, stability and reliability - I submit to that because that is my actual experience and observation.

tzmedia
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, first post in...
I've been a web designer for 5+ years now, just getting into web Dev and usability standards compliant applications esp. those using .NET, .asp, and I might dabble in some php, but with Abyss as my friend it doesn't look like I'll have to mess with the other opensource technology stuff. You guy's Rock!

Little did I know there was no way for me to test applicaton's locally without a web server installed and that MS Windows XP "home editon" had no solution for such.
Just downloaded the Abyss server latest edition
Abyss Web Server X1 (v 2.3.0.5)

I've never had to deal with the backend stuff, I'm sure I'll be asking for help, but I might be able to contribute a thing or two also.
Thanks for having me!
ty
phirez
-

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This webserver is so easy but yet has the power of a hardcore webserver.This is the longest I have stayed with a webserver (3 months)
I've tried many webservers:

IIS= To much memory, microsoft's "I want money attitude"

Apache= To hard

Netscape= To much money

Xerver= To much cpu usage

AnalogX= To easy, I must say Analogx is the worst server I have ever used all one does is click a button.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogX WWW server was only designed to serve HTML pages and maybe the odd CGI script, nothing special. I used it before I switched to Abyss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: